Thursday, July 27, 2006

I had a fun afternoon with those Blockheads. Lots of vacation photos. One lucky lady got to be at the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show this year. It looked like so much fun. Maybe someday I'll get there.

No one put a single stitch in anything this afternoon. Just "Yack, yack, yack." I did bring home a friend's quilt to stitch on the binding. Binding is one of my favorite things. I did the binding on another quilt for her and we were both so very happy about it. I got to do something I enjoy and she didn't have to do something she finds tedious. A win-win situation. I will ask her permission to share a photo when it is complete.

Looks what the mailman brought me today.


Last week I conducted a little online retail therapy and this was a result of that. I can't really say what brought me to the point that I want to try a feathered star. Can it be that the heat is shutting down my braincells, rendering me incapable of making good decisions. My husband pointed out the subtitle at the bottom of the front cover. It reads: Really hard blocks that take a long time to make.

I know what fabric I want my finished star to be. The question is: Do I dive in with that fabric (which I have had for quite some time and will NEVER be able to find more) or do I make a practice block using up something that I don't really care about? Points to ponder. I shall sleep on it and see how I feel in the morning.

4 comments:

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Hello, just discovered your delightful blog and Greer. Oh, I remember using a clothesline and find myself missing it on occasion. Everything always smelled soooooooo good. I'll be back to visit again!

Finn said...

I think a practice block or two would be perfect, and give you a beginning of an orphan block collection if you don't have one already..*VBS*

It'a an ambitious block...I don't know what gets into us. For me, the temptation is New York Beauty..I'm still tempted..LOL

McIrish Annie said...

Definitely do a practice block. I took a class with Marsha. She is delightful!! My first block looked like a yarmulke. Someone else thought it looked like a bra cup.. Marsha's only comment was I needed more practice but she loved my choice of Fabrics!!!!

Patti said...

Marsha's directions really make this a straightforward, not-so-hard block. There aren't any inset seams done her way. Just be sure to cut carefully and accurately, and use an accurate 1/4" seam allowance. I've made a bunch of these - I think they are fun! Start with one based on a LeMoyne star - I think she calls them "radiant stars" rather than one based on the variable or evening star. That way you don't have to worry about feathers that are two different sizes. Good luck!