Sunday, August 27, 2006

August 27 is not my best day. Today marks 15 years since I lost my mom. I came along later in her life. She was just shy of her 44th birthday in 1960. Our relationship during my teen years can be described as turbulent - at best. She became a teenager in 1929; me in 1973. There was a lot of change that happened in the intervening years. Our experiences and the world were vastly different. It was hard to see eye-to-eye on anything.
We came through it without too many scars and had a great relationship. Once I became the mother of a daughter it seemed so different. I wanted to hear what she had to say. I needed to hear what she had to say. Suddenly my mom was smart.
It was hard to hear that she was gone but a relief at the same time. I got to be with her on that last day and I'm sure she knew I was there. She fought a good, long time. She deserved to be at rest. I was sad for me, yet happy for her.
I know she was proud of me then and she would be today. She would be bursting with pride over The Princess, an independent young woman, serving her country and travelling around the world.
Living a good life, trying to make a contribution in the world - no matter how small - is the best tribute to her life. I try to do so everyday. Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Linda_J said...

A lovely tribute to your mom, Libby.

I suspect that my grandmother's passing on my birthday will be met with some of the same schizoid emotions.

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Libby, I agree with Linda. What a lovely tribute to your mom.

Ahhh mothers and teenage daughters - can be such a challenge time and then you come through it-life is good. I raised a daughter and for awhile I was dumb as a box of rocks and then suddenly I was smart. LOL

Norma said...

Today should be a reflection on the wonderful memories you have of your mother. I think all of us had difficult relationships with our mothers when we were teenagers--irregardless of the age difference. My mother is only 18 years older than me and we never saw eye to eye when I was a teen. However, like you said in your post, that passes and mothers become experts when we get married and have our own children!

Nancy said...

(((HUGS))) to you! My Mom has only been gone a year but I can't imagine I'll miss her less in 15 years. Yes we fought like cats and dogs in my teen years but she became my best friend one I married and "grew up".

Sweet P said...

Definitely a wonderful tribute to your mom. And the picture of her is adorable (it is her, right?) Sometimes I think we don't give enough credit to our parents until it's too late.

Judy said...

Such a lovely picture of your mom. They did love those hair bows then didn't they.

It's nice to remember her today.

Screen Door said...

Without a doubt, becoming a mother made me a better daughter and daughter-in-law. I've had so many reflections and remembered and said a prayer for my Mom. I love your picture and your words about your Mom. Tuck them away for your daughter one day.

Katie said...

And you've written such a nice tribute to her. People have been talking about why they blog. For yourself. For others. And for the warm fuzzies that come back to you. Hope you are feeling them coming to you today.

computerpeach said...

a very nice tribute to your mom - mine will be tomorrow. I lost my mom 7 years ago tomorrow - the day after the birth of my son.

Finn said...

Hi Libby, what a beautiful picture of your mom and such a wonderful tribute to her life.
It's very hard to lose them at any age. I know as I was 27 when my mom died unexpectedly without having ever seen her first grandchild. It's a regret that still causes me sorrow. I'm so glad you could be there at the end..*VBS* Hugs, Finn