Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Favorite Things ... There are so many things that I have that belonged to my mom. Each of them holds a special place in my heart. I have her Bye-Lo baby doll from the mid 1920's, her child's rocking chair lovingly repaired by my grandfather whom I never met, her button box, stacks and stacks of photos, a beautiful pink gold locket. The list goes on and on but my favorite thing is this little cup "The Gravy Shaker".The lid is embossed with "HEMO Thompson's Double Malted Malted Milk with BEEF and IRON". Well that doesn't sound appetizing. I'm guessing this cup came with the product for ease in mixing the magic elixir. It was always in the kitchen cupboard. Mom used it for shaking water and flour together for making lump-free gravy. Trust me when I say a good tasting gravy cannot be made without this little gem.
When I hosted my first holiday dinner, I attempted to make a gravy without the shaker. It was tasteless and lumpy. From that time forward, Mom carried the shaker with her when she came to our house for holidays. It was packed in her suitcase along with all the other essentials required for her to have a good visit. When we spent Christmas with The Princess in her first apartment, I took the shaker along -- our Christmas dinner depended on it.
Here we are in Mom's kitchen getting ready to prepare a meal. I can't be sure of the menu that day. The only clue is an old mayonnaise jar on the counter dedicated to Ranch dressing, the potholders indicate something in the oven, I see nothing on the stovetop. I'm guessing meatloaf, baked potato and green salad. No gravy that day, but guess what's for dinner tonight. Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Katie said...

It is so much fun to look at those items our relatives used. I have some from my mother, dad and grandmothers. I love your shaker!

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Love that shaker! You made me stop and think about the things my mom and my grandmother used on a regular basis that I probably took for granted. Thanks for making me stop! :-)

Finn said...

Hi Libby, love the post. It's so neat that you have things of your mom's that you hold in such a treasured way.
I don't have much of my moms "stuff", being as she died leaving my dad and younger sister still keeping house.
In later years I got one of the iron frying pans, and her rolling pin. A few fancy dishes that were hers,but not much else.
Luckily she embroidered and I have several lunch clothes and matching toaster covers(remember those?) that she made especially for me.
Of course if I had known she's be gone when I was 27, I'd have planned better..*VBS*
I remember the gravy shakers well. My MIL swore by hers. They were around in the 1950's also, I think I got one for a shower gift. They really did do a good job.
Hugs, Finn

Finn said...

Hi Libby, love the post. It's so neat that you have things of your mom's that you hold in such a treasured way.
I don't have much of my moms "stuff", being as she died leaving my dad and younger sister still keeping house.
In later years I got one of the iron frying pans, and her rolling pin. A few fancy dishes that were hers,but not much else.
Luckily she embroidered and I have several lunch clothes and matching toaster covers(remember those?) that she made especially for me.
Of course if I had known she's be gone when I was 27, I'd have planned better..*VBS*
I remember the gravy shakers well. My MIL swore by hers. They were around in the 1950's also, I think I got one for a shower gift. They really did do a good job.
Hugs, Finn

Linda_J said...

I have a wonderful large saucepan that I use almost daily as well as the 10 inch cast iron skillet from my paternal grandmother. The wooden handle on the sauce pan is shot and my husband keeps wrapping electrical tape over it. One of my quilting friend's husbands might be able to fix it as he does wood turning but try giving that pan up for long enough to get the work done, LOL.

Perfect for mashing potatoes and boiling pasta!!

Dawn said...

Oh how fun! I can't make gravy for the life of me! My MIL has a shaker (not a metal one though) that she uses for gravy. I keep telling her she has to teach me how to make gravy - I just can't do it.

Sue said...

Hi Libby,
I was glad to have you visit again. I really enjoyed this post your dear Mom. You love for her just shines through.
I miss my Mom every day of my life and she's been gone over 4 years now..

Judy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Judy said...

My husbands grandma died right before we got married and we got to go into her house and pick several things from the kitchen for our new home plus all her furniture. I have her old Kitchen spoons and fork made of this super hard plastic stuff. One melted almost in the dishwasher and I filed the melted part with my nail file to repair it!

My mom learned to make gravy in a small jar that she and her mother shook to make the gravy. Not metal, but it still did the job!!

I love that you have your mom's stuff. My mom is luckily still here so she still has all her stuff, but I do have a lot of my grandmother's stuff.

Sweet P said...

My mom is still alive, but I do have a few things from my grandmother - a teapot with a dancing ballerina, some thimbles and some of her jewelry.

Someday I will get my mom's Noritake china. That will be cool, sad, but cool.

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

Hi Libby, I have never seen a gravy shaker. What an amazing thing. I will ask my Mum if that is something that Grandma had.

Cynthia said...

Thanks for sharing your story. It's nice to have some things that belonged to your mom that you can treasure.