Friday, August 18, 2006

Have you done your practice today? My mom used to ask me that each and every day when I was taking piano lessons. Why was practicing such torture then? I have been practicing for the last couple of days with such pleasing results. I needed to learn to make a set-in or Y-seam in order to make a LeMoyne star. I did one practice over the weekend using some scraps, but quickly determined I needed more practice. I pulled a couple of fat quarters and a background from my shelves and cut enough fabric to make 20 blocks. I feel pretty darned comfortable with the technique now and have enough blocks to make a top. I ran by the quilt shop this afternoon and picked up fabrics for sashings, setting stones, binding and backing. I've done all of my practice for the feathered star now. I can cut and piece the odd shapes and make set-in seams. Now I have my project for next week all lined up.


Yesterday I also did some practice in baking. I used the King Arthur flour that was recommended by Judy in a post earlier this summer. The difference in this loaf from others I have baked in the past is just amazing. Previous loaves were small, dense and heavy while this rose quite nicely, filling the pan. Of course the aroma in the house was sensational and I had the most delicious toast for my breakfast this morning. I can see it's going to disappear quickly. I don't mind -- who knew practicing could be such fun. Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Screen Door said...

Sounds like you've had the best day. The stars AND bread are beautiful. Set in seams are not the easiest thing to do. You did a nice job. You can my a loaf of bread at the store or bakery, but there's nothing like that feeling or that taste of making it on your own...
Enjoy your weekend...
Melanie

Sweet P said...

Practice does make perfect - or at least very close. I like you block. I've been making set in seams with my hand pieced tumbling blocks. I'm getting good at them that way.

I'm not a baker, but I do love good homemade bread. Do you make yours with a bread machine or the old fashion way?

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Oh your star looks great. Not an easy task but I'm sure it feels good to be more comfortable with that technique. Way to go!

The loaf of bread looks soooo yummy!

Sue said...

Hi Libby,
Thanks so much for visiting me. Please feel free to stop in anytime
:-)

Dawn said...

Oh your bread looks wonderful! And what a great Lemoyne star! Won't that be a fun quilt made up with all your practice blocks!

Elizabeth said...

Thinking in terms of practicing is a good idea. I'm a beginning quilter. I am so in love with the fabtics that I select for my beginning projects, and I get frustrated if the results aren't perfect right away. But, everything takes practice, doesn't it! So, the time is never wasted.

http://elizabeth-themerryrose.blogspot.com

Cynthia said...

Love the colors you have used for your block. I have never done set in seams but one of the blocks in the Friendship block swap i'm in has the set in seams. So now i will have to learn how to do them.

Fiona said...

You are braver than me! I always avoid set-in seams because I think I would find them too hard but you are so right about practice.

Finn said...

How wonderful that you got great bread and a perfected technique in the same get-go!! Love that it turned into a 20 blocks cut project..guess I know where you will be hanging out once the bread is gone...LOL Hugs, Finn

Patti said...

What a lot of great accomplishments you completed while I was gone. I'm so glad the flour worked well for you. Baking bread is such a wonderfully rewarding thing to do! And I love your LeMoyne Stars - wonderful job! They aren't nearly as hard as people think they are - as you discovered all it takes is a little practice. I can hardly wait to see the finished top!

Lisa D. said...

Wow - your star block looks perfect! Great job!

Judy said...

Boy when you practice you REALLY practice HUH?? Good work! You got those done so quickly and I bet your are now a pro at this!

So do you make bread the old fashion way or with a machine. I'd love to try it once just to see, but I'm afraid that I don't have the strength to "kneed" it like it's supposed to be done....which I really have no idea about, by the way! HA!

Good work!