Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I have been talking with Darlene about English paper piecing and wanted to post some photos of my projects. I did the first one in 2001 using freezer paper for my templates. I did the basting right through the paper but then all the basting had to be pulled out to complete the quilt. I fell in love with the technique because of its portability. My dad was very ill and I was going back and forth to his home quite often. I could carry the whole project in one baggie. The hexs are 3/4", it's all in brushed cottons and a machine never touched this quilt -- pieced, appliqued, quilted and bound all by hand. Of course, I don't remember which book I found the pattern in.









The next is from a pattern from Paper Pieces called Star Bouquet. It was a class I took at a retreat that I didn't want to lug my sewing machine to. It is also in all brushed cottons. I did free-motion quilting and attatched the binding on the machine.



For my current project, I am using 1/2" hexs also from Paper Pieces. They are die cut from a nice weight of card stock. All of my basting is done on the back and won't have to be removed to finish the quilt. I don't have a pattern for this project. I am trying to recreate an antique quilt from a photo in a book.

I have been basting those little hexs since the beginning of this year -- somewhere between 4500 and 6000 so far. I have a good system going and I enjoy the process very much. I did have to take a break and piece a couple of stars together to get an idea of what it may look like when complete. I'll keep posting photos as I make progress.

8 comments:

Patti said...

Oh, I can't wait to see the final results! I've bought those little hexagons, but haven't used them yet. This is something I definitely want to do sometime before I die!

Cynthia said...

Can't believe how many hexs you have worked on. I have never done English paper pieceing. Perhaps i will have to try it some day once i get some UFOs done. The two quilts are lovely.
Will be back to see your progress.

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

OH Libby - I love them, I love them alot. They are wonderful. Thank you for sharing your pictures. Now, I really need to get busy and make some decisions.

The Calico Cat said...

How do you stitch them together?

Linda_J said...

wow--and just to gain some perspective here--how big is the finished piece then because those hexes are pretty small finished. 3/4 inch to start or finish--either way, my hat is off to you, Libby!

Finn said...

Oh Libby, the sewn togethert hex stars are just beautiful...! WOW!!

I really love them and your colors. Actually all the hex things you have made are so neat! I think a person pretty much has to love hand stitching to do them, especially that small. I look forward to seeing more pictures. Hugs, Finn

Judy said...

Wow you are productive on those huh! I like the idea of not basting through the top, but how do you get the paer out later??

I use the mylar hexagons that pop out afterwards! Looks wonderful!!

Dawn said...

Oh Libby! I love your little paper piecing quilts. I have those 1/2" hex's with the intent to make a small quilt with a similar star design but still haven't started it! Maybe this is what I need to start it! Actually I love that Star bouquet quilt too and need to order that book!