Sunday, August 27, 2006

I want to tell the story about the photo in the previous post. I don't know exactly when the photo was taken, but Mom appears to be somewhere around 4 years old. She remembered the day these portraits were taken vividly.
My grandma and her friend took their children, my mom and a little boy whose name I cannot recall, to have portraits made. They had to go to a neighboring town to find a photographer. Grandma didn't feel like she had clothing worthy of having a portrait taken, so went to a local mercantile and selected a lovely, modern "flapper" outfit. Grandma also didn't have the finacial resources to pay for such an outfit. Somehow she convinced the proprieter of the shop to allow her to take the dress home to try on. She had her portrait made, then returned the outfit. (shame on you, Grandma *s*) I'll post that portrait on her birthday.
Mom hated to have anything on her head - a hat, the huge bow you see ... and was already a little grumpy about the whole day. Then to add insult to injury, the little boy got to have his portrait made while wearing his toy six shooters and badge. Mom felt that would be a terrific prop for her to use as well. Of course, Grandma immediately put the kibosh on that. Mom exacted her revenge in the way only a four-year old can -- she refused to smile or cooperate in any way while having these pictures made. There are 3 or 4 different poses of her on that day, some with flowers, some without -- none with the six shooters she wanted so very badly and certainly not the smiling little girl that Grandma had hoped to immortalize on film.

9 comments:

Joanne said...

I'm catching up on all your postings for the past week or so -- the picture of your mother as a child is absolutely adorable. Just like a little girl to pout and not smile for her photo! What a great story.
Hope the insurance thing is taken care of now -- sometimes it seems we are talking to brick walls when dealing with certain companies.

Susan said...

But what a lovely picture it is. How wonderful that you not only have the picture, but the story that goes with it. Are you recording this for your children?

Dawn said...

Oh but what a wonderful picture. The photographer sure caught her mood! I love it! Thank you for sharing the story of the picture!

Linda_J said...

Libby we have a picture like that of my two brothers and I. My dad and mom were trying like anything to get a picture to include in the Christmas cards to relatives or some such thing---you never saw three more morose children and the longer we sat, and the harder they tried to coax a smile the worse it got. In my family it is a classic called the "rat trap picture" That is about all it could be used for is bait, LOL.

Norma said...

What a fabulous story. Be sure and write the details of the photo shoot down and keep them with the photo. Generations to come will appreciate the details!

Hedgehog said...

What a great story! I wouldn't have wanted that bow on my head, either.

Cynthia said...

What a lovely photo. Thanks for sharing the story behind it.

Patti said...

thank you so much for sharing your memories of you mother - the good and the hard ones. What a precious picture that is - even if your mother isn't smiling. I too had a mother who was older than most - I was born when she was 40 and my sister was born when she was 43. I know we were raised a bit differently than my friends with much younger parents. Now I'm glad - I think we were the lucky ones - but I sure didn't think so at the time!

Sweet P said...

I like the pout better than a smile. It adds more to this picture.