Wednesday, August 16, 2006


May Brit recently talked about her Grandma's button box and it brought to mind my mom's button box. It was always in her top dresser drawer with her other sewing supplies. I can easily bring to mind the faint smell when it was opened.

In my little girl eyes, this box was filled with shiny treasures to take out, fiddle with, arrange, and then put back. Now I see that it is really filled with memories. There are buttons from dresses my grandma made that I have long since out grown. There is a lone button from a favorite green suit Mom wore in the 60's. The pale pink yarn holds a lock of my baby hair (a treasure to Mom since I refused to grow a measurable amount of hair until nearly the age of 3) the darker pink yarn holds a lock of hair from The Princess at about the same age. Some buttons are probably just extras to have on hand in the event of a button emergency. There are a couple of baby teeth, even an unexplainable half an eraser.

I loved to through that box when I was young ... and I still do now. Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Screen Door said...

What a beautiful box. I love keepsakes.

Melanie

Finn said...

What a lovely thing to have, your mom's button box. Will I could say that...I have someones's but I know not who. It such fun to think about what year they might have been used and for what purpose. I especially love the tiny mother of pearl buttons from the dresses of babies...*VBS*

Dawn said...

I just read Laura's wonderful memories of her grandparents grape arbor and now your button box memories! What wonderful stories I"m reading tonight.

I have my grandma's old treadle sewing machine and you know what I found in her drawer with all her buttons? My dad's old Captain Midnight decoder! How fun is that!

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

Hi Libby, thanks for visiting my blog. I have enjoyed looking at yours - I too have a tomato crop like that! I have left them on the bush, and the dogs eat them for their Daily veg intake

Carol said...

I loved the story of your button box...brought back wonderful memories of my grandmother's button can. It was a small old rectangular 8 o'clock coffee can that was full of buttons. I loved looking at all the treasures. Thanks for bringing back a wonderful memory.

Cynthia said...

thanks for sharing your story of the button box. I have my mother in laws button collection which she kept in an old tin.
In one of my earlier posts i showed a decorated coathanger that i had made. I used some of my mother in laws square buttons for this coathanger.

Judy said...

Libby, I've also posted about my granma's button box and I made a whole quilt about it using her bottons! It's such a nice thing to reach into the past and have such fond memories of the things we remember!

I saw you mention you lived in your gradnma's house, and it made me think that I should be living in my grandmothers house, but family squabbles made me let the house go and I regret it so much to this day! Good for you!

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Thank you Libby for your trip down memory lane. I have a trinket box on my dresser that used to live on my grandmother's dresser - I used to while away the hours going through all the treasure (like the treasures in your button box) Such incredible memories - my grandmother raised me and I sure miss her!

Susan said...

Oh, I love that post. It reminded me so much of my mom, and how I played with her buttons when I was little. Hers were in a Folger's coffee can. I keep mine in a flour tin. =)

May Britt said...

Thank you for showing me your button box. We played with them as kids and now we play with them as grownups. It is a treasure I will keep forever. Some of the buttons in my box will be part om my memoryquilt I will make soon.