Friday, August 11, 2006

These are a few of my favorite things .... I got that song from The Sound of Music stuck in my head the other day. It made me begin to think about my own favorite things. The list could grow to be quite lengthy, if I think about it too long. I decided to narrow it down to one favorite that has come to me through someone special in my life.
This is a wooden tulip painted by The Princess at about the age of 6. Decorative and tole painting was quite popular at the time and I was taking my own unskilled stab at it (no classes were available where we lived.) Of course The Princess wanted to have a go at it, too.
She picked her own wood piece at the local craft store and took complete creative control of her work. There was no sanding before painting nor would she allow a sealer to be applied to protect her work. Notice that the "e" in Love has fallen to the second line ... a hallmark of her early creative work.
This flower has found it's home next the kitchen sink in every home we have lived for the last 20 years. Fresh flower bouquets come and go, but this tulip remains. Reminding me of the chubby paint stained hands of a determined little girl and all of the Lov
e she painted into her work. Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Nancy said...

I'm thinking that one tulip is worth more than 1000 bouquets of fresh flowers. :-)

Patti said...

What a precious keepsake - and memory - you have to cherish.

The Calico Cat said...

Awww - I lov
e the way youe "e" fell to the next line too. :o)

Finn said...

Hi Libby, what a touching post today..*VBS* I lov it!!

Great work on her part, and truly priceless. Hugs, Finn

Cynthia said...

How lovely. I have a few things around the house that my daughters made when they first started at high school ...clay items, leadlighting and wood working just to name a few. I also have a painted tile my daughter did at school when she was perhaps 10. I treasure them all.

Joanne said...

What a wonderful thing to have with you every day.