Wednesday, August 02, 2006

When I started reading quilt blogs at the beginning of the year, there was a lot of talk about completing UFO's, using up the stash, and scrap management. It got me to thinking about the status of my own work and fabrics on hand. I made a list of UFO's and set about getting them complete in the new year. I finished a couple - then promptly misplaced the list.

I then turned my attention to using up some of the fabrics that I have on hand. While I don't think I have an extensive stash, I have learned that if a fabric sits there long enough I can begin to resent it. Start to think it is not worthy of going into a quilt as my taste is ever evolving. I didn't want my fabrics to end up in the guild donation pile, I want to make quilts. I found the pattern for Prairie Star and made this quilt using only scraps. Even the border is pieced using scraps. It didn't make a dent.
I then took my scrap basket, dumped it on the floor, and sorted all the pieces into piles by color. I found this pattern at www.quilttownusa.com Only the border didn't come from the scrap basket, but it was on the shelf.

After making two quilt tops, I was still faced with this. It didn't seem to be getting smaller at all.

So I took it all to the ironing board, pressed it neatly, and cut it into 2 1/2" strips and ended up with this.

I turned once again to my old friend, the internet, and found another free pattern at mccallsquilting.com I did change the light section to use the 2 1/2" squares instead of larger pieces like the pattern called for just so I could use up my strips. (I love how the squares make the photo look pixelated.)
Well, that managed to whittle down my scrap basket to a manageable amount to have on hand for applique projects .... then I remembered the secondary scrap basket that is right under my sewing machine table *sigh* Now the talk has turned to The Great Fabric Depression of August 2006. I should be joining in and I might even make a half-hearted attempt. Heck, I made it through the first day without even breaking a sweat. Good luck to you all.

13 comments:

Lisa D. said...

Wow, you have some really great scrap quilts there! I had to laugh about how they barely made a dent in your stash... I think a lot of us have experienced the same thing!

Linda_J said...

Wonderful scrap quilts! Amazing isn't it what a couple day's cuttings can turn into--that basket looked totally unmanageable while the neat stacks hold such possibilities. Lots of quilts use 2 1/2 inch strips

The Calico Cat said...

neat quilts...

McIrish Annie said...

SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE YOUR SCRAPS AND STASH UNDER CONTROL.. your quilts are beautiful.. how long have you been quilting???

Screen Door said...

I love your quilts. I've made 3 quilts from scraps and stash fabrics this summer and I can't even tell I touched my stash. Like you, I don't think I have near the fabric some people do, but I do feel fortunate that I have more than my Mother or grandmother would ever have dreamed about, plus a husband that half-way understands this fabric dependency I have. I love reading your weblog.

Melanie

Nancy said...

So you found another scrap basket. Don't dwell on that. Just remind yourself you did empty one and have some LOVELY quilts to show for it.

Patti said...

You are making marvelous scrap quilt. Know what you mean - I swear those scraps are breeding in the dark at night when we aren't looking.

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Those are terrific scrappy quilts. I love them!

tami said...

Your scrap quilts are beautiful.
I understand about it not making a dent. I tend to feel so good about using something from my stash I go out and replace it with twice as much as I used.

Finn said...

Wow Libby, what a great post!! I think you probably are right..we must be fabric twins, seperated at birth. You to grow up snow-less, and me to dig and shove and make snowangels all the years of my life..LOL

Really great, great effort with those scraps!! I am sooooo impressed!! And you are finding really great patterns. And you do remember how many quilts Bonnie at http://www.quiltville.com offers us, right?? Most are set up for strips already cut, or squares for that matter. Probably you know that..LOL I'm going to have click on your links and and see those places too..Hugs, Finn

Joanne said...

Welcome, Libby -- I just read through all your posts! I'm a little slow in getting around the blogs. Just wanted to say, I like your style!

Cynthia said...

You certainly have been busy. Love the quilts, and all from your stash. Well done!!!

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Libby, thanks for posting a comment with compliment about my Confetti quilt. As I've already said, your scrappy quilts are wonderful.