Saturday, September 09, 2006

Happy Birthday, California. September 9, 1850 California became the 31st state. When I was in elementary school this day was a state holiday. We started school the day after Labor Day, then within a day or two had a day off. My mom found it quite silly -- I thought it was great. My favorite year in school was 4th grade. We studied California history that year and I loved everything about it. We learned about the mission system and went of field trips to our local and nearby missions. We learned about the Gold Rush and The Donner Party. California has gotten a poor reputation in the media. All the whackos seem to come from here -- according to the news. A lot of very nice folk hail from here as well. The state is not only the large cities most are familiar with, but some very nice small towns -- just like can be found anywhere else in America. There is agriculture and industry, high-tech and artisans. There are beautiful beaches, deserts, lakes, rivers, mountains. I think Miss Salan, my 4th grade teacher, said that if California were to become a country, the only thing it would need to import is nickel. Now, I knew that I had some nickels right in my piggy bank at home. She must have been mistaken on that one point. So again I say, Happy Birthday California, I think you're great and you'll always be home to me. Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Sue said...

She'll always be home to me too, Libby!
I well remember Admission Day holiday and studing California History in 4th grade. It must have been standard statewide?
Actually, now that I think about it, my grandson had CA history in 4th grade and he's in private school...
Thanks for the look back and tribute to our great state..

Fiona said...

One of the places I hope to go to someday is Santa Barbara. One of my favourite authors, Meg Gardiner grew up there and has set her first 4 crime novels there. (Don't worry - Santa Barbara comes out as quirky, not dangerous.) I love her descriptions of California and if ever I get to go to the USA it is definitely going to be on the agenda.

Jeanne said...

Nicely expressed!
As a transplant, it has taken me several decades to really appreciate California for it's own self, not just as someplace 'different' than Chicago. It is home for us now, and likely always will be.
I do enjoy a peaceful walk around the grounds of San Jan Capistrano.
Jeanne :)

Sweet P said...

Thanks for the history lesson on California. I don't think I could ever there though, I'm too much of a northern girl and don't even want to retire to a warm state.

I wonder if all states take time to teach their state history to their students?

Linda_J said...

Interesting, Libby! I remember doing something similiar in gradeschool--learning to sign the Illinois state song, etc.

Screen Door said...

If everyone had more pride in their state the U.S. would definitely be a better place.

Cynthia said...

reading your post reminded me of our family holiday 6 years ago to the US. We went to California because that's where Disneyland is but we have fond memories of the friendly people we met there. Would love to visit again one day.

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Happy Birthday California! Thanks for the mini history lesson - I don't know anything about California so it's nice to have those tidbits.

Finn said...

Hi Libby, and happy memoires from 4th grade. I too went to elementary school in a small "my side of town" brick school was was very elderly. Enought to have the terrizo(not sure of spelling) front entry step and landing. They actually were rather hollowed out with the wear of little feet. It my my K-4th grade school and I love it. We were then bused across to the opposite side of town for 5th and 6th grades, and while the school was nice, it wasn't "ours".
Schools play such a big role in a childs life, it's interesting that we don't talk about them more than we do. Thanks for sharing your memory with us.
Way back when, native Californian were pretty rare, as were Oregonians..LOL Everybody seemed to be a transplant. I'm glad you love your state..I feel the same way about WI, and I've lived in quite a few other states, but this is HOME...*VBS* Hugs, Finn

Beth said...

I am a native Californian and can't imagine living anyplace else. My husband talks about moving when we retire to various other states, but does put moving to Weaverville in No. Cal. on the top of the list. I hope so, because I want to stay in California! Love it here! What part of California are you in?

Beth
Glendora, So. California