Tuesday, September 19, 2006

I had a lot of comments and questions about the rug project I showed yesterday. While I am certainly not qualified to offer any sort of tutorial, I'm happy to show some pictures of the tool I use and what I have done so far.

The tool is called The Oxford Punch Needle. It came in this nice box with a detailed booklet of instructions -- that I completely ignored. The tool came pre-threaded with a piece of yarn. I carefully re-threaded it using fabric and went on my merry way.

I did follow the instructions in the magazine (which are minimal at best.) They said I should begin with the pumpin. Using rotary cutter and ruler, I cut up a LOT of 1/4" strips of homespun fabric to use in the pumpkin. I had previously transferred the pattern to Monk's cloth. Once the strips were cut, I was ready to punch.

First I did the detail lines inside the pumpkin then started working from the outside - in. With strips of fabric 45" long, I was rethreading that little tool fairly often. Fortunately it's easy to thread. I'm thinking there must be a way to cut the strip so it is continuou ... like making miles of bias from a square of fabric. I will ponder this more before I cut the next color.
This is the backside of the project and the side that you work on. It's just a matter of punching and filling in the space now. There is a photo below that shows the front side so far.

I should have reversed the pattern before I transfered it. My finished product will be facing opposite of the model in the magazine. Also, I have never used Monk's cloth before. I should have put masking tape around the edges before I began.

I hope it's as clear as mud now. I'll post photos of my progress.
 Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Laura said...

I love to rughook but have never tried to punch needle. This looks like a really big project! They have been offering classes locally I am just afraid to get hooked on something else!

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Wow - what a fun project. Actually, your explanations are very clear. I'll be back to watch more progress!!!

Screen Door said...

It will only look backwards to yourself--crows look both ways. I've never seen this before, keep showing pictures.
Melanie

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

Looks great - not something I've ever tried. When I cut the blue fabric for my crochet rug I cut it in one strip. Just got nearly to one end then stopped, and started cutting the next row. Having trouble explaining it actually

Carol said...

Very fun! I love punching...very easy, very relaxing...Great way to use up fabric strips.

Cynthia said...

very interesting. I have never tried this before. I look forward to seeing more progress on this project.

Dawn said...

Well how cool - it is exactly like needle punch only with a bigger punch! I bet you could continue your fabric strips like you do with locker hooking with fabric - wonder if that would work?

Finn said...

Hi Libby, the rug looks like it will be great fun!!! I like the colors already...*VBS* And I think you've done very well explaining a new craft. Hugs, Finn

Linda_J said...

so you work from the back punching and the loops actually are on the front side, right? That is why you said you should have reversed the design as you would for applique.

I have a punch needle set for embroidery but have not tried it yet--same principle?