Saturday, September 23, 2006

I have seen so many of your pincushions this last week and wanted to share my collection. What I noticed when I began gathering was I seem to have a chicken theme happening. I don't have chickens anywhere else in my home. I wonder how this happened?
Starting from the left is a wool tomato (pumpkin?) that was a souvenir from my MIL's trip to Keepsake Quilting. It is my everyday pincushion and lives by the sewing machine. The red chicken is a spoolie I made from a Gooseberry Patch book. It serves as my hand stitching cushion and stays by my chair within easy reach.
The little beeskep I made for my mom at Camp Fire Girls probably when I was 9 or 10. (Does anyone else remember having their pigtails adorned with the thick yarn a la Cindy Brady?) I don't use this one -- it's' just like Mom left it.
The log cabin chicken was a class project and lives in the tote box I use to carry supplies back and forth to class. My teacher likes to tease about stabbing the chicken. I like to spread the pins out to look like a full plumed tail and never, ever put pins in the eyes.
The needle keeper in the front was made by my MIL for a Christmas gift. It came stuffed with a little cash for a shopping spree *s* This little helper goes with me to my friendship group or when I travel with only hand sewing.
Somewhere around here I have a traditional red tomato with a little strawberry attached just like Mom and Grandma had. Also I have instructions for some make-do pincushions. I don't think I really need more, but I sure do want them. Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Linda_J said...

Very nice collection--and it IS a collection since you have more than two, LOL.

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Yes, a very nice collection. Like you I don't need more but I'd love to have more. :-)

Cynthia said...

they're a cute bunch of pincushions. It's been nice seeing everyones collection.

Sweet P said...

I like your collection of pincushions. To have one that your mother used and keep it that way is a nice way to keep her memory.

May Britt said...

It is so fun to see your collection. Have to take photo of mine as well. If I find them in my messy sewinroom LOL

Finn said...

Hi Libby, great pincushions..*VBS* And you know, maybe you didn't collect the chickens, maybe they collected you. Have just one chicken is a dangerous thing...others come to see what that one found...*VBS* Just like in real life...LOL
Hugs, Finn