Saturday, September 02, 2006

I was granted a painting reprieve today. Whee! We started off the morning slow and relaxed, read through the paper, coffee, breakfast, etc. Then got ourselves together for the San Diego Quilt Show. Hubby has not been to this show before and was genuinely interested in going.
We looked at all of the quilts first, then perused the vendor area. All of the quilts were very nice with some outstanding workmanship. I do wish that there was a couple of primitive quilts in the bunch. Hubby commented on the way home that he did not see a single crow in the building. My favorite was a redwork wallhanging that was done completely by hand. I should have taken a photo, but the camera never even made it out of my purse.
The vendors were just about the same as last year. I do have my favorite booths that I like to check in with to see what's new. Hubby saw a long arm machine in person and commented that he could see how useful it would be. This, I think, is terrific news.
In the exhibit hall next to the quilt show they were setting up for a low-rider car show. The door was open and we just meandered in. No one seemed to upset with our presence, so we took a quick tour. If I could have any car in the world, I would pick a 1971/72 Chevelle. They are just a beautiful car in my eyes. While the low-riders are not my style, there was so much work, love and dedication poured into these cars - and it surely showed. There was much Armor-All and Windex in the room. They had mirrored tiles on the floor so you could see the undercarriage of the cars. Some guys were wearing examination gloves to keep fingerprints off while they polished to a high shine. One Impala was painted the most beautiful color of deep blue I have ever seen. We stopped to talk to him for a few minutes. He said he has wanted to paint the car another color, but gets so many comments like ours that he keeps holding off. It worked out well quilts and cars -- something for everyone.
I'm showing the promised photo of the Buggy Barn Scrappy Stars quilt that was glimpsed earlier in the week. It truly is from the scrap bag and is one of my favorites. I believe the pattern has 9-patches for the centers of the stars, but I decided against that and am very happy with the result. This is a quilt that is out year-round.
The second picture is my current project - Scarecrows - one of the patterns I purchased while on my shopping spree Tuesday. The background was a snap to piece together and I cut all of the applique pieces from wool. The pattern calls for the word "Scarecrows" to be embroidered with the "o" an appliqued pumpkin. I'll have this done just in time to decorate for fall. Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

Sue said...

I love your scarecrows. It will be perfect for fall. I'm not a quilter but sometime I may post some pictures of quilts that my Grandma, Mom and DIL did...

Leah S said...

Lucky you! My husband's eyes popped when he saw how big long arms are. Nevermind the pricetag... :P

Patti said...

Sounds like a wonderful day! It's funny how many men like longarms - after all, they are big machines and many men love machines of all kinds. Your star quilt is marvelous and your scarecrows are turning out so very cute. Who is the designer of that pattern - if you dont' mind me asking.

Dawn said...

Libby! I love that buggy barn quilt! Thanks so much for posting the picture! It looks like it is quilted very heavily - I love that! And the lady scarecrows are just too fun! I can't wait to see it done - it is so cute!

I wouldn't even get my husband to a quilt show! Say nothing about admitting how a long arm would be a help!!! :)

Fiona said...

Sounds like you had a good day. I really like the scrap stars quilt - I can see why you keep it out year round!

Hedgehog said...

I love those scrappy stars! The scarecrows look fun, too!

Carol said...

Thanks for sharing a photo of your star quilt. I am putting that one of my list of want to do's. Your scarecrows are great, perfect for fall. Can't wait to see them. Isn't it funny how men are just attracted to machines? Sounds like you had a great day! Have a wonderful rest of the long weekend.

Screen Door said...

I love the quilts. I can't wait to start my buggy barn quilt.

paula, the_quilter said...

The quilt/car show would have been the perfect venue for me and the CarGuy (although he is into Muscle Cars and not Low-riders). Some of the paint jobs -- wow! And to make this somewhat fabric related next time check out some of the interior details: button tufting, tucks, diamond tufting on the seats and headliners. I know too much about show cars. *sigh* /paula

McIrish Annie said...

sounds like a nice day for both you and DH. like the scarecrows. sewww glad fall is here, we have started pulling out the pumpkins and putting away our summer shells..

May Britt said...

Sounds like a total perfect day for you. Perhaps your husband is going to buy you long arm?? When it comes to machinery men always find it interesting. What is the name of the pattern on this quilt. I love it!!!

Finn said...

Hi Libby, love the quilt pictures and the car talk...*VBS*
Since I'm from the era of muscle cars and low riders..LOL..I do have an awareness of what you speak..*VBS*
While I was waiting for DH to come home from a year spend up north of the Artic Circle, I came across a silver 1962 Chevy corvette(convertible I think altho I'm not positive on that part). It was brand spankin' new and the most gorgeous silver color..like fog. Asking price? $5000. And what is so scary, is that I HAD the money...BUT it was saved during the year HE was gone so he could finish college. He had 2 years "in" before the AF tour, and was coming back from Alaska in 1962 to begin his last 2 years.
Oh my.. I wanted that car soooooooooooo bad. But my Dad took me by the shoulders and pretty much said..."don't you DARE buy that car". Or if I did, I'd better drive away and never come back. So, of course, I didn't..*G* But I still think about it..LOL
Love your version of those stars..and the scarecrows are just fine!!! Hugs, Finn

Cynthia said...

your two quilts are lovely. Please post a photo of your Scarecrow quilt when you get the lettering done. It's sounds great.

Katie said...

Thank you for taking me along on our trip. I really enjoyed it. Really love both your quilts!

Judy said...

You guys sound like us..My hubby always goes with me to the quilt show and I wouldn't want to go with anyone else! I know exactly what you mean about the longarms...hubby walked up to the booth at the last show, asked her to tell us about the machine and then stayed for 45 minutes asking more questions than I did! I was floored! He told me whenever I can make the payments to go ahead and get one! He'd even move bedrooms to fit it in the house...now to find the payment money!

Love the quilts, especially the scrap one. It seems so cool that the sort-of sashing makes the alternate stars! Very cool idea. I also love the border! The screcrows are turning out very well. Can't wait to see the wording added!

Beth said...

I love the Stars quilt! I am a sucker for stars! And I like your other quilt you have pictured too.

Beth

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

Love the stars - very nice. When is your birthday? Maybe a big quilting machine is coming your way?