Thursday, September 07, 2006

Inspiration .... thank you so much for the motivational comments you gave. I have taken them all to heart and feel much better getting on to a new project. I am going to take a good hard look at some UFO's that have been dangling over my head and see about finding them a new home. They deserve to be appreciated, not looked on with dread. Last night was quilt class. So fun to see all the ladies after a whole month away. Vacations, new grandchildren, radio prizes, quilt projects ... so much to talk about and very little sewing going on.

I took the opportunity to engage in a little retail therapy and came upon this little gem of a packet. It was singing my name. Once I picked it up, I knew it was destined to be MINE *s* It is the brushed cottons from Bound By The Prairie by Kansas Troubles. Stay tuned to see what it becomes. I completed the applique on my Scarecrows wall hanging and am hand quilting it. Nothing fancy, just echo around the appliques and a quick trip around each block and the border. I'll post a photo when I get it all done.
Although fall is coming to many parts of the U.S., it won't be arriving here soon. On a walk to the "Promised Land" with Harper, I took a picture of the hibuscus in full bloom next door. It really is a beautiful plant and makes me wish I was in Hawaii, sipping a tropical cocktail full of fruity goodness and a paper umbrella.
The last picture is the view of our backyard from the "Promised Land." This is one of the greenbelt areas in our neighborhood, full of rabbits, squirrels and birds. Harper can often be found laying in a flowerbed looking down longingly hoping to get a good, close look at one of those bunnies. When we walk down there, she has no idea this is the place she so wants to be. And those darned bunnies are very elusive. They run and hide at the first whiff of dog. No matter how much we promise not to hurt them, just want to get a good look, they refuse to cooperate. Darned ole bunnies.
 Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Screen Door said...

I think that fabric has MY name on it-- honest-- you're just not looking close enough...I like it when you talk about Harper & the bunnies...Ransom dumped me for a Turkey last night...I was not impressed... Your flowers are gorgeous. I can't even imagine the opportunity to have flowers year round--- you're blessed....

Linda_J said...

Stick with us, Libby and we will help get out of your doldrums.

Seriously, some fabric that was singing your name might be what you need to get excited about sewing gain. Good job listening.

Gorgeous plants and area you are in. I've seen some here in AL but perhaps not as bushy.

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Harper would love my community - we have some of the cutest bunnies that just run between the houses. Sometimes I sit at my table prepping applique and one will stop between the houses and just look around. Chicken, rice and bunnies - Harper would right at home. LOL

Sweet P said...

When fabric calls - you have to buy it - especially if you've been in the doldrums. Can't wait to see what you make with it.

Harper sounds like a great pet. Too bad, he can't get his bunnies.

Judy said...

What a fabulous bundle. I love brushed homespun cottons. I found some this year in blacks and oranges and I will make them into a Primitive fall thanksgiving wallhanging so time.

Good find!! Can't wait to see what they "grow" up to be!

Carol said...

Retail therapy takes care of so many little bumps in the road. Glad you had fun at quilt class last night. We have a big heron in the pond behind our house and Zack thinks he should be able to run and play with him. The heron looks straight at Zack and as soon as he gets about 4 feet away the heron takes flight. Poor Zack is so disappointed. Howie on the other hand could care less. He wants to get back in the air conditioning.

Fiona said...

Nothing like some lovely new fabrics to get you back into that quilting groove!

May Britt said...

What a lovely bundle of fabrics. Enjoy them. Did you get my surprise in the mail yet Libby??? Long time since I sent it for you.

Angie said...

Ooooh, I love that bundle!! May have to go on a treasure hunt for one for me!! :) I have two wienie dogs, and my Badger Baby has a fit over the bunnies in our yard. Wants to chase them so bad---alas, he's a "special needs" child (having had several discs go in his back), and I have to curb his tendancy to dash out after them.

Can't wait to see what you make up with those fabrics.

Sue said...

Hi Libby,
Your quilt club sounds like a fun get together! Loved the green belt area, we have one right behind our back fence and get much of the same wildlife, (even some deer!)
My hibiscus is in bloom too

Finn said...

Hi Libby, sorry to be missing for a couple of days here...you know how life keeps happening while you are making other plans..LOL

Nursemaid-ed DS through the aftermath of two wisdom teeth coming out. Personally I don't think he can "spare" the wisdom, but what can you do..? LOL....the fabric bundle looks wonderful. Better watch out, I think I spied Melanie from Screen Doors sailing past on the wind this morning...LOL I suspect it was that fabric you just bought..*G*
Beautiful flower..gotta love nature's colors. I'm looking forward to what Miss Autumn might be wearing this fall season.
Which won't last because that darn Frost Fairy has to coming dancing into view after awhile..everybody wants to be a star!!!
I remember all to well from my beloved Golden how they are soooo disappointed that bunny didn't want to play or be sniffed. He felt that way about the wild deer also. They just ran away and won't stand still for him....he totally didn't get it...*VBS*
Have a great, great day my friend, Big hugs, Finn

Cynthia said...

sounds like you had fun at your quilt class. At times i find motivation just by being around others who also quilt, especially when there is show and tell.

Love the Hibiscus. We have three in our garden and i'm looking forward to seeing them bloom soon.

McIrish Annie said...

Libby I have some of that fabric also. It just screams AUTUMN!! Hope it inspires you.

jpquilter said...

love that packet of fabric - hope it brings you a lot of inspiration
Juliann