Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Motivation - where can I find some? I just feel as though I'm spinning my wheels, unable to find a direction to go in. The painting project is nearly complete. Only some trim left and then putting things back on the walls. I don't want to just put things back exactlly how they were. Time for change which will require some thought.I have not posted (or made) any quilting goals. That might force me to look hard at what I have hanging around, incomplete - possibly to never be finished. I did make a UFO list at the beginning of 2006, worked on completing a couple of projects, then promptly misplaced the list. That tells you how dedicated I am to sticking with a plan. I think I need to take a serious look at some of the projects - maybe it's just time to move on, accept that I learned something from them, but they are not destined to be completed - by me, anyway.Tomorrow, I resume my weekly class. We are always off for the month of August. Usually I am so excited. I'm not planning on making the quilt they are going to start -- it is very similar to the one I made for our 25th wedding anniversary. I just need to find a project to feel excited about. I'm hoping once I see the ladies and their show and tell from August I will feel more inspired.Next week, Hubby is out of town for work. I have lots of mental plans for all that I will accomplish then. Could this be partially responsible for this week's stall? So many things to 'save' for next week. Hmmm, that makes me feel a little better already. Maybe I'll go sit on the floor and stare at the fabric in the closet. Who knows what will pop into my head.
*This post has been eaten twice -- I hope three times is a charm *s* Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Judy said...

I don't know if yours qualifies as a slump, but I think lots of people ahve been stuck in limbo these past few weeks. I suggest going through all your books and seeing if anything jumps out at you!!

Linda_J said...

I would suggest just acknowledging as you did that such times exist. You are half way to a solution if you know why your interests are lagging.

You have been working hard on the house project and still are hoping to arrange your space. That does constitute something creative--just not piecing or quilting.

I have a UFO list as long as your arm and for the longest time, I would not write a list. I want to be able to work on something when the whim hits me, not feel locked into something that I must get done or do just because it is on a list. Big deal that I cross something off of that danged list! I write the goals and I can change them--just suggestions anyway.

I have found that most things are UFOs for a reason--the colors don't work, the technique no longer excited me, or it is at a point like borders which I am not crazy about doing, whatever. I just tossed 3 of them the other day---boy, did that feel good!! Ancient ones---gone.

Maybe you need to just pull a few out and see what the hold up is. Maybe you learned all you are going to learn about that project and just need to scale it back--Mary says she does that with hers and then donates the quilt to charity. Maybe you just need to do a fast, quick and mindless project just to get you back in the swing of things.

Somethings to consider anyway.

Linda J who is mightily sick of these danged stars

Finn said...

I think the third time was the charm!! Blogger has been having a few behavior problems this past week...hopefully things are improving.

Lovely little painting up at the top of your post..*VBS* Sometimes that motivation is hard to come by..keep trying! Hugs, Finn

Cynthia said...

Hope you will find some motivation soon. Lack of enthusiasm for quilting happens to us all. I was like that about two years ago and worked on new projects with stitcheries that i hadn't done before.

May Britt said...

I know this feeling. Sometimes I feel so tired that I do not manage to start on anything. Looks at one project, hide it and look at another one. Nothing feels all right. Perhaps it is because I have so many ideas in my head. Do not know any "cure" for this. Just relax and wait for the right feeling. A little quiltreatret with other ladies solved my problem last time LOL

Carol said...

Once all your of your house project is done I think you'll be ready. All of that while so very exciting can be overwhelming. Take your time, don't beat yourself up...it will come back, it always does.

Sweet P said...

You have put a lot of creative energy into repainting the house. While it's not quilting it is creating, not just slapping paint onto the wall. Wait another or day or two, I bet you'll feel more like quilting soon.

Patti said...

Libby, go through those ufo's and be ruthless. Pick out any and all that don't thrill you any more and give them to charity for completing. You will be amazed at what a freeing feeling this gives you. I've done it 3 times and each time I've felt so lightened and free. I've also felt renewed excitement about finishing the ones I've kept. You are right - sometimes it's the process you learn from, and when you've learned what you are meant to learn from the project it's time to move on.

Screen Door said...

I agree that UFOs are that for a reason. Maybe just working on something small might jumpstart you. I am a little nervous about tackling a big project because I have been in a slump. If you have a fall quilt book, page through it.. Season changes are always fun for me.

Marcie said...

Wow, you have lots of good advice here! I say, "Take a nap"! This is supposed to be fun. Maybe you need to rest from it all for a bit. When you are ready, then re-read all the good advice you got here. I think I will write some of it down too!

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

I visit your blog on a very regular basis and somehow missed this post, Libby! I've been feeling alot like you recently - not in a real slump and/or funk but in my case more frustration cuz I can't seem to settle on a project. Sigh!!!

Relax and enjoy!