Thursday, September 14, 2006

Ooops. In yesterday's post I showed a photo of this quilt and said that I have it on display most of the year. This is a photo showing where it actually lives ... on top of a treadle sewing machine that we use as an end table.Because I have been too lazy to reload the digital camera software after Death of the Hard Drive 2006, I have been taking all of my digital photos with my cell phone. I quickly press a few buttons and the pictures magically show up in my email. The downside to this is the cell phone is not a high quality camera and pictures are much better when taken outside. In particular, the color of the walls always comes out with this odd green-ish cast that I can't seem to edit out.

So today I'm sharing a few photos of the backyard fence. I have taken to hanging my quilts there when I photograph them. I have gone so far as to just leave push pins in the wood so I don't have to fuss with carrying them out there in my pocket and stabbing myself in the leg.
All of the outdoor photos were taken spring after everything was freshly planted and not filled in. The plants were all so low, it seemed like we were just looking at a vast expanse of fence. I went to my favorite junk/antique store picked out a few things to break the monotony.

I was trying to make it seem like a garden room. Over the summer, some of the plants filled out nicely and thrived. Others didn't fare so well. Such is the fate of plants that come home with me -- they must be hearty and able to fend for themselves. I do my best, but I was not blessed with a green thumb.

 Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Your backyard is incredible. It's definitely an extension of your home - another room. Hanging the doo-dahs on the fence was a great idea. Love the "flowerbed" - cute, cute, cute!

Angie said...

Oh Libby, I LOVE IT!!! What a wonderful idea...pitchfork on the fence, watering cans (are they a fountain?), and the iron bed for your "flowerbed"....absolutely adorable!! Can I come have coffee in your "garden" please? :)

Angie said...

Oh, and I forgot, I love the idea of using the treadle sewing machine for an endtable!! That's one of the things that I really love about blogdom....every one has such wonderful ideas to share!! Great job!

Screen Door said...

Hey, put a small cup hook in the window center you have hanging and you could have a place to put wreaths, year round to reflect the seasons. I still want a "girl" scarecrow-- maybe next year.....

Melanie

paula, the_quilter said...

I love yard art! Did you see the one I posted on my blog on http://thequilter.blogspot.com/2006/04/yard-art.html
My town has 2 bronze foundries and a lot of artists of every type. So on walks and bikerides one can see every type of art. I just posted the two I found that were essentially recycled art. /paula

KCQuilter said...

Love, love, love your scarecrow! And the flowerbed is priceless!!!

Linda_J said...

What a lovely place to visit and that flower "bed" is just too cute! How clever of you, Libby!

Sweet P said...

What a beautiful back yard. You must have some type of green tumb.

I like your set up on the treadle machine too. I need to something like that with mine instead of using it for a printer stand.

Carol said...

Your backyard is spectacular...love the flower "bed"

Sue said...

The flower "bed" is a totally clever idea! Your yard is lovely...

Marcie said...

Very cute, Libby! Love that old window and stuff. Such cute ideas! Quilts show much better with cute accessories.

Beth said...

I love how you used the bed frame as a planter, and your scarecrow! I wish I could have the yard all country-ish and quirky like that, but my hubby is pretty anal when it comes to his yard.

Cynthia said...

Libby i love the way you have "decorated" your garden, especially the way you used the bed frame. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Finn said...

I think it's "official" you have a really, really unique and adorable garden and fence..*VBS* Don't worry about a green thumb..*S*

I think you and Melanie together could and would create the most magnificant displaces in yard and garden! Have you checked back to see some of her great garden ideas?? She's the one I thought I saw flying past to help you use those great homespuns you bought a while back...LOL Hugs, Finn