Monday, September 18, 2006

Things are getting back to normal around here. Hubby was out of town on business last week. The plan was to sew morning, noon and night. It was a good plan. But life sometimes makes you change your plans and that's okay too. I began putting out some of the fall quilts and decorations. This quilt is called "Moonshine" by Lynda Hall. A fun, scrappy quilt that just happened to be done in autumn colors. It's not really as ruffly as it appears here. It has been covering the ottoman and has taken on the shape *s* I did machine quilt a top that had been waiting patiently and got the binding all stitched down. Also stitched the binding on a friend's quilt. So I didn't get to the new things I thought I would, but I found satisfaction in getting a couple of items off my plate.

In the mail, I got the new Create and Decorate. This further sidetracked me from my original plan. I found this pattern for a rug that I just knew I needed to have. It uses a technique like punch-needle using 1/4" fabric strips on monk's cloth. I happened to have the brushed cottons and homespuns that I needed. A quick trip to the store for monk's cloth and to enlarge the pattern and I'm all set. Today I'll be cutting 1/4" strips of fabric. I've not done this before, but it should be fun.

I made the first soup of the season yesterday afternoon. A very quick and easy one. We call it Fiesta Chicken Soup. Our Costco sells packages of pollo asado - seasoned, boneless, skinless chicken. I cook the chicken in chicken stock and allow it to cool. Shred the chicken and put it back in the stock along with a can of corn and reheat. Serve with crumbled corn chips and shredded cheddar cheese. Yummy. I'm looking forward to lots of soups -- even the 17 Bean Soup that The Princess dislikes so much. With my new bread baking skills it's going to be a delicious fall. Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

Fiona said...

The scrappy start quilt is lovely, I like the random effect of the squares in the star.

Jeanne said...

Hi Libby!

I'm doing a little lunchtime reading through some blogs, and marked yours to come back and say I LOVE Lynda Hall patterns -- good job with Moonshine! Soooo, I kept reading, and found this:

pineridgequilter.blogspot.com

What a coincidence! Maybe it's some kind of karma that means I should get out my Moonshine pattern and get it going! :)

Also, what kind of hook or tool will you be using on your rug? I've done wool rug hooking and I'm curious about your project.

Jeanne

KCQuilter said...

Oh, what a gorgeous quilt! I just love Lynda Hall's patterns. Looks perfect for the season. And your soup sounds yummy! 'Tis the season...

Laura said...

I love your Moonshine quilt! I actually like it better without the yellow sashing strip!
Soup sounds great, we are getting cooler weather here this week and I plan on making chili! take Care.

Sue said...

Your quilt is beautiful and the soup recipe sounds delish!
I'll have to look for that chicken at our Costco..

Screen Door said...

I've never done any punch needle work. I can't wait to see how it comes out.

Scrappy quilts are the best. I'm going to look up more Lynda Hall Patterns. It looks like a quilt for picnics....

Linda_J said...

Nice and scrappy quilt, Libby. It is easy to get sidetracked when you recall this or that project that just needs one little thing done. The rug looks interesting and is still a fabric art. Locker stitch type thing?

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Moonshine is terrific - I love Lynda Hall's patterns.

I saw a demo of the rug punching while at the Chicago Quilt Show and was intrigued. I could have stood there and watched for hours. I can't wait to see your progress.

Sweet P said...

A lot of people seem to be making soups now. My favorite soup is butternut squash, although I'm always a sucker for creamy chicken and wild rice.

Good luck on your new project!

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

The quilt looks great Libby, and although I have just had lunch, the soup sounds yum. Suddenly I feel like corn chips

Susan in N. GA said...

Thanks Libby, I absolutely love this quilt, I recently made a plaid and stiped Churn Dash. I hope you don't mind, I added you to my blog list.
Blessings,
Susan~

Dawn said...

Libby! I LOVE that version and coloring you did for Moonshine! That quilt has been on my list forever, but now that I see yours I'm thinking I HAVE to do it NOW! It is awesome!

And I love the create and decorate magazine. So how do you punch the fabric? I do punch needle, but was wondering what kind of tool you use for fabric! I love it!

Finn said...

Hi Libby, what a great quilt! I love the scrappiness..*VBS*
And your rug project..it sounds perfect and ideal for your home and the look you love.
I haven't abandoned you on the crocheted one...LOL..honest I haven't! It intestering tho that this one "popped up" right when you were draw to the rug idea..*VBS* I think that's how the Universe works alot of the time.
Your colors are great and I can't wait to see what it will look like once you start..*S* Hugs, Finn

paula, the_quilter said...

Hi Libby, lovely scrappy quilt. And thanks for the 'recipe'. I don't have a Costco near here but our supermarket sells leftover rotisserie chicken that I could use to make this. I love soups. The perfect food. /paula

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Love that quilt very pretty!!! I am really looking forward to seeing your rug take shape.. :O)...