Friday, October 20, 2006

The beginnings of a beautiful day. So much attention is paid to the sunsets here in coastal southern California. People travel from far and wide to stand staring at the horizon as the sun disappears from view each evening. The Princess and I once witnessed a large gathering break into applause as the sun dipped below the horizon.
As soon as that last glimpse disappears, the crowds disperse -- show over. What they don't realize is that the show has just begun. All of the beautiful colors in the sky -- orange, pink, red, purple as it turns to the inky black of the night.
Night is simply the intermission of the dazzling show. In the morning, we get the second act. From the darkness we get a reverse of the previous day's colors. Less intense in depth. Pink and yellow streaks in the eastern sky becoming more pale as the sun rises again until only the blue is left to be seen and we are left with a fresh, new day.

7 comments:

Princess said...

I love applauding tourist. They're what makes living there so fun. If they didn't applaud, who would we make fun of?

Cynthia said...

thanks for sharing the photo. I have just been reading someones blog that posted a photo of a sunset. I don't recall having seen a sunrise but after reading your post i wish that i had.

By the way, your quilt looks great now that you've put all the blocks together.

Sue said...

I love sunsets (and sunrises) actually I love the sky and all its wonderous beauty..
Great photo BTW!!

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Early morning is my favorite part of the day - I love the way a day begins so quiet.

Sweet P said...

When DH and I visited Oregon last summer he couldn't wait for me to see the sunset over the ocean. It is a beautiful sight. Living on the East Coast we get to watch the sinc rise over the ocean. An equally stunning sight.

Your red and gold quilt is great and you should be proud of what you are doing with it.

Finn said...

Beautiful post...and you are so correct. So much more to see than just the last of the sun..*VBS*

I waw noticing as I came past your archives, that you've been with us 4 months already!! Soooo glad you decided to come out and play....Hugs, Finn

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Don't you just love what light does for us? I am fascinated with it to the extent that when there are unusual shades my kids run to tell me in case I miss it. I wonder what someone who knows would say about lovers of sunrisers v. setters. Does one love the prospect of the new day and the hope it brings, while the others are pleased to see the day end? Something to think about. Ps, now I want to make a gold and red quilt like yours and I have soooo many other projects. Great work.