Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Getting back into the swing of things ...
The suitcases are unpacked, the laundry is done, groceries fill the cupboards, the mail has been dealt with and there has been a modest amount of housecleaning done. I think I can start thinking about quilting again. Tonight is my weekly class and I know they are beginning a new project (which I am not prepared to start with them.) I have a hand-quilting project that I have been working on or the ever-present hexagons to keep me busy tonight. That will give me time to decide if I want to take on the class project or start on one I have planned at home. Both will require some concentration, so I can't work on both at the same time. Also I need to begin thinking about Christmas and gifts that I want/need to make. That will take priority over all.

The hand-quilting I am doing now isn't far enough along to share a photo. This is a whole-cloth that I did last winter. It is about 40" square. I purchased it pre-printed from a vendor at a local quilt show and let it age in the closet for a couple of years. I used a very thin batt and like the result. I applied a coffee and tea concoction to dye it when I was done. I learned about walnut ink crystals from Nancy at Tom Miner Folk Art recently. I am planning on giving that method a go the next time I want to give a quilt a time-worn look -- possibly the one I'm working on now. Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Finn said...

Hi LIbby, is that whole cloth in the picture one you have quilted? If so, or even if not, it certainly is a beauty!

I like that you have the courage to "do" the dying thing. It does give the desired look, and after all..they ARE ours to do with as we please!
And regarding lima beans...? We are TOTALLY in the same corner. I only encountered them in Campbell's Vegetable Beef Soup, but that was MORE an enough for me...ug!
The vegetable that keep me at the table for long, long hours was sweet potatoes or yams. They just don't go down!! I still don't care for them. Too sweet.
I look forward to seeing the new project. Hugs, Finn

Anonymous said...

nice job!

Screen Door said...

Man -- at the detail. Did you dye before or after the quilting? If you dyed after that beautiful quilting that was a hefty committment. I love this quilt. I can picture it folded at the foot a of bed.
Melanie

joyce said...

Amazing quilting job. So many tiny stitches. I am impressed!

May Britt said...

Have you really handquiltet the whole-cloth???? It is beautiful. How long time did you use one it?

Sweet P said...

What a beautiful job hand quilting. Someday I will be as good as you.

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

That's amazing Libby. I am in awe. And it's peas for me! Peas are evil and wicked and sneaky. Everywhere you look there's a pea... They're in everything.

Lois R. said...

It is beautiful! I'm a big fan of whole cloth quilts -- though I don't see myself ever having the patience to do one.

Shelina said...

Isn't it so nice to get back into the swing of things? Whenever I take a vacation, it seems like there is so much to do to prepare before you go, and so much to make up for when you come back, that I need another vacation just for taking a vacation!

Your whole cloth is beautiful. You do really good work quilting.

Dawn said...

Oh my gosh Libby! I LOVE that quilt! It is beautiful! I've tried to do whole cloths before but my stitches must not be small enough, you just don't see the design very well. Yours is wonderful!

Nancy said...

Beautiful Libby, can't wait to see what you do with the walnut crystals, Nancy of Tom Miner Folk Art