Thursday, October 19, 2006

Here they are -- all the blocks put together. This was really fun to piece (and share in little tiny bits) The borders have to wait until next week because I am waiting for more of the gold fabric to come in the mail. A 2" gold, 2" red and 6" gold will make it fit a double/full bed.

This quilt is being donated to the Wounded Warrior Center. I had seen these articles in the paper on the dates they originally ran and just kind of kept them in my head.

My on-going quilting class is making quilts using this block but with multiple fabrics. Originally I had planned to skip the project and just work on finishing existing projects. Last week, after listening to all the ladies gab for 3 hours, I decided maybe I would like to play along, save myself some brain cells and use only two fabrics. Digging through my stash, I came up with these two which seemed to go well together and I had lots of them. As they sat on the sewing table waiting to be cut, it occurred to me that these are the colors of the USMC - scarlet and gold. Hmmmm -- this is a masculine block, the fabrics are plaid . . . . seemed like this quilt would fit the bill just perfectly. Posted by Picasa

20 comments:

Angie said...

Oh Libby, it's gorgeous!! Can't wait to see how it looks with the borders...it looks perfect just the way it is!!

Dianne said...

What a wonderful quilt, Libby. So masculine, strong, and dramatic. It's going to be beautiful with the borders, too...

May Britt said...

WOW.....already done the top. You work realy quick.

Nancy said...

I can't believe you made that top in two days, I'd still be thinking about it, and it's gorgeous to boot. Nancy, MT

computerpeach said...

beautiful!! So fast too.

Fiona said...

The top is beautiful, and you got it done so quickly!

Carol said...

Libby it is just beautiful. What a perfect quilt for the rehab center. They will love it. What size quilts do they need?

Screen Door said...

It's a beautiful quilt.What a treasure for someone.

Anonymous said...

That is a masculine marine colored quilt! Great way to support a great cause.

KCQuilter said...

Oh, how gorgeous that turned out! It was worth the suspense LOL!!!

Judy said...

Another fabulous quilt!! I love the colors! Can you share what size your quarter block turned out to be...or the size of the finished block.

I think this is such a great cause to donate to. I've seen other places too and these guys really appreciate the quilts that are sent. There are several organizations and it's good to know that they are getting something made from our hands.

Lois R. said...

Just beautiful!

Beth said...

Wow! Very nice! And you're fast!

Finn said...

Hi Libby, it's a really great quilt top. And for such a nice cause! I went and read the information, and will be passing it along to our resident manager here, who is a retired marine. She's just learning to use her computer, but also recently had knee replacement.
It's a great cause to sew for..and I'll keep that in mind.
Hugs for you, Finn

Rabbit Stitchings said...

It turned out just wonderful!!!
Great job ... and fun to watch!

Linda_J said...

Aha, I was right--and look how wonderful it looks. The colors look so different in the previous photos that for a minute I thought it was a totally different quilt---like you really ramped it up and made two, LOL

McIrish Annie said...

LIbby what a super idea!! and i really like it in two colors simple and striking. i have sent an email to the lady in charge of this project and will be sending a quilt also.

thanks for the info!!

Shelina said...

A beautiful quilt with beautiful colors Libby. So generous of you to share.

Hedgehog said...

I love your buzz saw! Thanks!

Dawn said...

It is beautiful! I"ll have to see if I have a pic of my buzz saw quilt!