Monday, October 09, 2006

Home again - home again .....
We had such a wonderful vacation. Hubby was off work for two whole weeks. The first we week we were at home doing all those things that get put aside for another day. Last week we went to Flagstaff, AZ and Las Vegas. It was a wonderful, relaxing trip.
Let me start by saying that I love Flagstaff. I love seeing the mountains, smelling the Ponderosa pines, the downtown area with fun, funky shops and a real sense of community and activities.
The first picture is of Riordan Mansion. It is now part of the Arizona State Park system. We found it on our first trip to Flagstaff by looking through the phone book. I try to go each time I am there. The tours are a little different each time depending on the tourguide. Because it is completely furnished with the family's belongings, it really feels like a home and you come away with a sense of what life was like there in 1904 and beyond.

We also went out the the Arboretum Many of the plants were in their 'fall decline' but we had some spectacular views of the San Francisco Peaks. You can see the line of quaking aspens that were in full autumn color about mid-way up. We just don't get these kinds of fall displays where I live and I felt like I was gape-mouthed most of the time we were there.
Later we drove out to Arizona Snowbowl to get a closer look at the aspens. Oh my, it was just gorgeous. We took some stops along the way up for photo-ops. I didn't even realize how far into the distance you could see until I came home and started looking at the pictures. I think my brain and eyes just kept focusing in on the color. So much open space is just vast and breathtaking.Hubby pointed out how the clouds are puffy on the top and very flat on the bottom. Some sort of atmospheric pressure system, I'm sure, but fun to look at.
We are always hoping to see some wildlife. There are signs all along the roads cautioning to watch for elk. We saw a couple of chipmunks and that's about it. Don't you think an elk would look perfect just inside the fence here? Just grazing away. Too bad I don't know how to photoshop.

After Flagstaff, we drove to Las Vegas. This was only our 2nd time there. The first trip was a couple of years ago and in July -- what were we thinking? It was blazing hot.
On this trip we drove over Hoover Dam. Now I am not fond of driving over bridges, so this was not my favorite part of the trip. Way to high and nowhere to go but over the side. There were crowds and crowds of people driving and walking all around. I did like the art deco feel of the dam and it's buildings. I'm sure Hubby would love to go back and go through the tour -- best to leave Libby behind, I would be a killjoy for sure.

Las Vegas was very Las Vegas-y -- lots of lights, bells, whistles, music, etc. On our first night, a friend who lives there met us and we had a nice visit. The next day was our anniversary day. It was raining off and on so we didn't walk around as much as we thought we might. We had a wonderful dinner at The Melting Pot on a recommendation of The Princess. I am still full. Who would think that eating little pieces of food dipped into cheeses, sauces or chocolate could be so filling. It was delicious and the company was perfect. It was a very nice trip all around.It took me a while to go read through everyone's posts. I tried to leave a comment here and there. Now I think I'm all caught up. The unpacking is done, laundry is put away, food in the cupboards .... a few more errands and a little housecleaning and it will be business as usual. Time to start counting the days until the next vacation. Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Hedgehog said...

Beautiful photos - all places I've never been. Thanks for sharing.

joyce said...

It sounds like it was a fun trip. I have never been to any of those places so it was great to see the photos.

Judy said...

What a wonderful trip! I saved your last picture so I could use it for my computer desk top background. The yellow trees are simply amazing!

Glad you had such a relaxing vacation time. We often spend out either wandering in the car or a home doing just whatever we want to do!

Linda_J said...

Welcome home and belated anniversary greetings. Sounds like a wonderful trip, Libby. Really enjoyed seeing the pictures you shared.

Sue said...

Sounds like it was a fun trip. I rode an elevator to the bottom of Hoover Dam years ago. It was a v.e.r.y hot day and not lots of fun.
Loved the golden shades in the trees!!

Screen Door said...

Loved your pictures. When we were young (before kids)we were always saving-for kids. Now were spending-for kids. I can't wait till one day we can do things like this... It sounds so much fun.

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Sounds like you had a great time on your vacation...I am with you on driving over bridges/Dams of any kind..tee hee ..never high point on any car trip for me.. pardon the pun... :O)

Finn said...

Hi LIbby, it sounds like a perfect getaway..lots of what is fun for the two of you, and easy choices about the rest.

It all sounds and looks wonderful. I do love those aspen...a favorite part of New Mexico for me..autumn gold along the Rio Grande. The shimmer and color is just glorious! Glad you are back...missed you! Hugs, Finn

Katie said...

A couple years ago I traveled to the general area you were. It was during the fall and the first time I saw the aspens in motion. Really someing to see. We had gorgeous weather and got to see the blue blue skies. Thanks for sharing the beautiful outdoors in your part of the country.

Dawn said...

Oh what wonderful photos. It sounds like you had fun. Boy do I love that first picture of the 1900's house. How fun!

Anonymous said...

For someone who likes her food separate (no cheese on broccoli) I am suprised that you liked The Melting Pot...

Angie said...

Oh Libby, it sounds (and looks!) like you had a WONDERFUL anniversary trip!! So glad you had a good time and that you're back.