Monday, October 23, 2006

I do love it when my brain engages. It happens from time to time and it does make me smile. I have a little pile of quilts - 3 wallhangings - that I didn't know what to do with them. They are from VERY early in my quilting career. In one case, the fabric choice is quite questionable. For all of them, it is quite clear that I was still trying to become comfortable with free-motion machine quilting. Don't get me wrong here. When I made these quilts, I was as proud as proud could be. I felt like I had really accomplished a feat. Now I don't know that I want to share and defend my workmanship on these little beauties. So here they sit, in a pile, unused and unseen.
The idea came to me yesterday afternoon. When I am sitting at the computer, I look at the fence. It is only a few feet away from the window. It's not an ugly fence, but it's not particularly attractive either. I can hang my quilts on the fence for something more interesting to look at. This is the north side of the house, very little sun reaches this area. I'll bring them in during the rainy season.
This quilt is from a Country Threads pattern that I did after about 6 months of quilting. The beaks were my first applique -- what a struggle. Should have started with much bigger pieces. I tried quilting a different motif on each chicken. I don't know why, I just did and I never really liked the result. This morning I sat down, opened the blinds and saw my little hens just peeking in at me. I think we are all going to be happy now. Posted by Picasa

26 comments:

Patti said...

What a marvelous thing to do with these quilts! I'm sure you are much too hard on yourself - all of us are - and you will so enjoy looking at these wonders and remembering making them.

Sue said...

How nice to have something lovely to look at through the window. Great idea!

Anonymous said...

Those are cute chicks!

paula, the_quilter said...

Your first attempts at quilting are much nicer than mine! And that is a very creative solution!

Nancy said...

Great idea Libby, and that quilt is cute as a button, the chicks look just fine! Nancy in MT

Judy said...

What a fabulous place for the hens to visit each day!! If you aren't going to use them inside, then this is the perfect choice! You won't die if something happens to them and they will give you something beautiful to look at!

Sweet P said...

A great idea indeed! Enjoy looking at your quilts.

Carol said...

Great idea Libby...it's just like being at Country Threads. They have quilts hanging on the fences all the time.

meggie said...

HiLibby,
Have just 'met' you!
Love the idea of putting your chickens on the fence!

Have been reading you with interest.

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Wow, what a perfect solution for you. Now you'll enjoy those early quilts everyday.

Cynthia said...

what a great way to display your wallhangings

Linda_J said...

I think I might have the book that those old chickens came from! When you have taken pictures out on that fence before we thought it made a great place to display them, so why the heck not hang them out there? If there is no rain in the forecast, anyway.

May Britt said...

Great idea Libby. The quilt is too beautiful to be stored away unseen. Do you have long seasons when in never rains??

Screen Door said...

I love your quilt. I like looking back and seeing how our tastes have changed. Strip piecing had just began being published, and there were no triangle techniques being taught when I started quilting. Fabric changes---it's all part of who you are...Great quilt.

Laura said...

What a great idea! I hang a quilt out on my front porch each summer. The sun does get to it by I just use tan rit dye to overdye at the end of the summer and it is as good as new for next year.

Carolyn said...

You're so clever! And I think the quilt is adorable...

Bonnie said...

Great idea! Makes me think - where could I hang some of my first quilts? Laundry room? Garage? (I don't have a fence) It would be fun to come into those dark and dingy spaces and see a quilt brightening up the wall. Thanks for sharing your innovation.

Lois R. said...

What a clever idea, but won't you be sad when they disappear or decay?

I guess the chance to see and enjoy them daily outweights the risks...

Shelina said...

What a beautiful way to accomplish your first achievements.

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

What a lovely idea. You must have very predictable weather!

Finn said...

Hello out there Libby, what a delightful idea!

And you see, I've been a HUGE fan of things you put "on" or "against" that fence, so of course, I'm tickled pink. I'm sure you little hens will no longer feel like second class fowl..*VBS*
And you, I think we all have "those" in our life. Like little secrets that we don't tell....are the quilts that we aren't very thrilled with. I have a couple also. The quilting didn't fail to please me, but the piecing or the fabric did. Now they lanquish, hidden, banished to some dark corner of storage. I don't have a fence, but I do have a nice old wagon wheel propped against the house...hmmmm?
Food for thought...hugs, Finn

Tracey said...

What a *wonderful* idea, Libby!! I'm so glad that you are keeping them out, too. Even though it can be humbling, it shows just how far you've come. :o) I love it!!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

As you can imagine, I love these chooks. Are they fine out there in the weather, should they have a roof? And what will they eat? Oh, wait, they are not real but they are cute. I sacrifice those quilts I'm not crazy about to the sunny part of my couch that gets all the light. If they fade I say, oh well, they were warm and saved the couch!!

Marcie said...

You are so cute, Libby dear! Love your fence idea! When I see the quilts I made starting out I realize how much I have enjoyed the process of learning, and how excited I get about everything I make. In a few years I will look back at what I do now and say, "Yep, slow learner, but had lots of fun"!

anne bebbington said...

What a lovely way to make use of something that just sits hidden away in a cupboard :o)

Dawn said...

I love those chickens! That is a great quilt!