Friday, October 27, 2006

I heard on the radio yesterday morning there was a fast moving fire that had consumed 800 acres in the Banning area - about 80 to 90 miles east of here. In the afternoon, our beautiful clear day was gone and smoke was beginning to fill the sky. I had heard no news of a local fire and it didn't seem possible the smoke could be from so far away. I turned on the television around 4 p.m.to learn the 800 acres had grown to 10,000 in just few hours, 4 firefighters lost their lives and homes were being threatened. I took this picture in the backyard just before 6. What you see is not fog but smoke from the fire. It smelled like the bottom of my fireplace out there. At 8 p.m., the fire had grown to 24,000+ acres and it had been determined it was set by an arsonist. I just can't imagine getting satisfaction from causing so much destruction and devastating the lives of so many people. I hope today they have agreeable weather that allows the firefighters to begin containing the fire. It's the best we can hope for.
In the meantime, I hope to get something quilty done today. I have been working on my hexagons the last couple of evenings. The fabric I ordered to complete borders and backing for the Buzzsaw quilt arrived yesterday afternoon. I also want to start working on a new project. I have intended to start cutting the fabric for the last two days but keep getting sidetracked. Hopefully today I will get started on it -- so I can share it with you .... next time. Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Nancy said...

I've been watching the coverage on the fires and hoping none of my blogger friends live in the affected areas. How assinine for someone to have set a fire like this on purpose! Or to set ANYTHING on fire where you haven't taken the proper precautions to make sure it doesnt' get out of hand. My heart aches for the lives lost and the property damage already done. And from what I saw on the news this morning it's nowhere near contained!

Terri said...

I'm in Oceanside and the Santa Annas are blowing it all my way. I used to live up there and am just heartbroke watching the news! It smells wonderful in my house! We don't have air and have to leave the windows open for any kind of air in the house :(

Sue said...

Hi Libby,
We've been reading about this fire too! Hopefully it will be under control soon.
We also have a fire up in the Napa Valley that is making our air smell like smoke. It didn't seem to affect the air quality in SF yesterday, but there is always a breeze (wind!) blowing around the GG bridge...

May Britt said...

Hope the fire will be under control soon. We had a great fire this summer not so far away and we could see and smell it. Luckily they got control over it. I have already read about "your" fire in the norwegian net paper. And I did think perhaps one of the bloggers I know live over there. My worse fear is fire.

Angie said...

Oh Libby, I do hope that you and all of my other CA blogging friends are out of the way of that fire. So horrible! Prayers are winging their way for everyone's safety.

I meant to tell you, Libby, that I LOVE your idea of hanging those small quilts outside your window where you can see them. That's just the neatest idea!!!

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

I don't understand either how someone gets pleasure by causing destruction and ruining families and their lives. The news yesterday left me stunned and shocked. I hope that you and yours are safe!

Cynthia said...

it makes me sooo angry when i hear about these people who intentionally begin fires. Won't be long and we'll be in the Summer season here in Australia and no doubt we'll also be hearing about bushfires. I hope they managed to control the fire as soon as possible.

Screen Door said...

Take care - My heart goes out to those who have lost things in the disaster. Stay alert, to the situation,...I just can't imagine...

Quilt a bunch this weekend

Rabbit Stitchings said...

How scarey those fires are!! I cannot imagine setting a fire on purpose either!!

We have been under a no burn ban all summer here...I wouldn't light a fire for anything! Just today we trimmmed limbs off the trees in the pasture so dh can get the tractor under them when he bush hogs... we then loaded all the limbs and hauled them to the back and put them in the woods...usually people burn them...not now and not last year either...to dry to dangerous!!!

Judy said...

I saw coverage of that but had no idea it was so close to you. I'll have to check the new tonight to see what's transpired today.

I'll keep all of you in my prayers!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Oh, I'm thinking of you, we spent a few anxious days here with the kids and grandma evacuated last summer and I don't wish that kind of nervous tension on anyone. It got as close as that lovely mountain I have in my blog's first picture and that it far too close. Keep your mind busy with quilting. God Bless.

Linda_J said...

I had wondered how close this was to you and other blogging friends in California. Lot of sick SOBs out there. I hope that they catch whoever is responsible for this travesty. Not only because the destruction of property but the lost of life first and foremost. Think of all the people with health problems who should not be breating that smoke too.

Shelina said...

Oh how awful to have to deal the fire like that. To think somebody did that on purpose just sickens me. I hope the firefighters are able to control the blaze, and thatyou and yours stay safe.