Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Last Halloween I was at the beginning of a long, difficult project. Hubby and I own the home that was built by my grandparents and then passed to my mom and then passed to me. With the hope of living in that home one day, we have rented it out for the last 15 years. Last fall we had to evict a long-term tenant due to the condition the house and property was found in during an annual inspection by the property manager.
The list of needed repairs was long. Some things were just normal wear and tear, others things required extensive repair, the walls had cracks from earthquakes, the plumbing was failing due to it's age, the lawn was dead and landscaping over-grown, etc., etc., etc. It made me cry to see it in such bad shape. I made a list of what needed to be done and with the help of the terrific women at the property manager's office found an outstanding contractor, a painter, a plumber and landscaper.
Over the next several months, Hubby and I made several trips to check the work, pick out paint colors, window treatments, carpet, new appliances, fixtures for the sinks, tile, and put in some good old-fashioned elbow grease of our own.
On one such trip I saw the greenery from the bulbs that had always been planted in the backyard along side the house. I had forgotten all about them, but suddenly remembered my grandma and my mom tending to them -- cutting them back after they bloomed, digging them up to separate and replant again. I remembered how cheerful it was to see those first blossoms in late February and early March.
I made a quick trip to the hardware store for a trowel and a container. I then dug up a bunch of the bulbs to bring home for my own yard. They didn't take the 300+ mile car ride too well. I prepared a nice place for them in my yard and tried talking to them nicely. The greenery wilted, died off -- no blooms in spring here. I cut back the brown foliage and sort of forgot about them again.
We made our last trip to the house in March. It looked great -- everything fresh and shiny new. I felt good because the house knew that we still loved it. We found a good family to live there and take good care of it for us.
Today I noticed this little bloom in my yard -- they survived the move after all. It was a long year full of hard work and lots of emotions. I think this little flower sums it up and closes it out very nicely. Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

Finn said...

Hi Libby, what a lovely post..*VBS* And such a nice tribute to family. I love that the house could be passed from generation to generation and remain useful and loved. If only we all could say that, even about ourselves..*S*

In deed, the blossoms look happy, and content to be blooming for family again. Hugs, Finn

meggie said...

What a nice post Libby!
What a thrill to see that happy little flower.
Hope the house stays safe in new hands.

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

What a wonderful story, Libby. Those blooms are bringing good wishes from your mom and grandmother. Enjoy their visit!

Rabbit Stitchings said...

That is so wonderful your bulbs are happy and living with you now at your home!! They will always make you smile when they bloom!!

KCQuilter said...

Very nice story. And how great that the bulbs are blooming for you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you were able to bring the bulbs to your home! What a special memory! Thanks for the comment. Yes, I am making the quilt on the book cover. It is ColorSplash Trip Around the World.

Judy said...

I'm sure the bulbs were a little shocked, but settled in nicely. What a lovely story!

Sue said...

Great postLibby! I loved this story of this house that's been in your family for so many years. When we sold my Grandma's house, it nearly broke my heart. My sweet husband secretly dug up her daffodil bulbs alongs her driveway and planted them in my "Grammy's Garden" here at our house. I love the living reminder of her...

Screen Door said...

Great ppost... Flowers are signals that the good things do survive and come back again......

Shelina said...

What a sweet story. Glad the house is getting back in shape. The flower is lovely. Good that you can enjoy it from your house.

Lois R. said...

That's what is so wonderful about bulbs. Give them the proper treatment and they'll reward you. Heck, the'll reward you even if you DON'T give them the proper treatment!!! Again, That's what's so wonderful about bulbs!!!

Dawn said...

Oh Libby! What a wonderful memory! And what happy thoughts that little flower brings!

Patti said...

What a wonderful story! This wasn't just a house - it was a home with memories and much meaning in your life. How special that it has been able to remain in your family and has now had a loving "rebirth". It is so sad than so many homes must be sold to pay for nursing home care or to settle estate debts rather than being passed down. You truly have something special there - and obviously you know it.

Linda_J said...

Looks like both the bulbs and the house have been re-born.

Is it still your intention to move there someday?

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Got to love bulbs, I've got some I'm hoping will come up soon, ones that come up out od the parched ground like nothing has a right to and always bring me joy. Plants are great but bulbs are really an amazing thing. Quilt was great too and thanks for you comment, I need some support here amongst critics!!

lori said...

This was so nice to read. I am glad the little plant survived the move.