Friday, October 13, 2006

The punched rug project is finished. I completed the needlepunch part a couple of weeks ago, laid it aside and sort of forgot about it. I saw it sitting on the sewing table yesterday and decided it was high time to do the last little bit. I trimmed down the excess Monk's cloth and finished off the edges on the back by turning it under and stitching it down. I'm sure there is a far more professional method to this, but I think my way will work out okay. I don't know yet where I will put this. Right now it's just laying in the floor. I know it's a rug -- that's where it should be. It's rather narrow for standing on in front of the sink or something and it's pretty darned heavy to hang on the wall. I'll just leave it as is for now. Something will come to me.
I have also been working on a hand quilting project. This time utility quilting with perle cotton. I hand quilt using a hoop and the weather here is still quite warm. This project may get laid aside for a bit. The quilt is pretty good sized and I chose a wool batt -- gets a little toasty under there.
I should take some time to clean up and organize my fabrics and books. I don't have a dedicated sewing room. I have a table with my machine and supplies set up in the living room. I use The Princess' bedroom to hold all the fabrics, books, magazines and other quilting goodies. Right now there is fabric everywhere in there. It's a little hard to think about a project when I can't really see what I have to work with. Well, now I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend ..... Posted by Picasa

19 comments:

Dawn said...

Oh your rug is wonderful! No, no, no - I do not need any new temptations........

Angie said...

Ah Libby, your needlepunch rug is so cute!! What size is it? and which punch needle did you use? and did you use floss or perle cotton? I know, I know, I'm just full of questions today! LOL But I've done a few tiny pieces of punchneedle and keep wondering if it would be worth the $$ for the Ig??????? (that Russian needle) (the needle I'm thinking of is one that I THINK you could use yarn or even thin fabric stips with) LOL Thanks for the info!

Anonymous said...

neat! (I have a tiny rug that has not decided where to live either..)

Fiona said...

I love rag rugs and yours looks so nice a warm and welcoming.

Carol said...

Oh Libby your rug turned out great!We're doing one in the shop right now using the big Oxford punch and the wool yarn...a lady was in yesterday and said she loved it because it was so much bigger that regular punch needle...her comment was "It's punch needle on steroids" We had a good laugh

Sue said...

Libby,
That is just beautiful! You are amazingly talented!!

Patti said...

The rug turned out just great! I know you'll find the perfect spot to put it.

Sweet P said...

Your rug turned out great.

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Libby, your rug is darling. I was thinking about it the other day (don't ask me why - who knows - LOL) so I was pleased to see a picture today. I'm sure you'll find "the" perfect spot for it.

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

Yes Libby it looks fantastic. Have fun sorting out your fabric - you need to be able to see everything in one place to know what you've got.

Cynthia said...

i'm way behind again reading blogs.
Your rug is lovely. It's something i have never tried. Maybe one day when i have finished some more UFOs i'll give it a go.
Your vacation photos are just great. I would love to have been there. Looks like my kind of place for a vacation.

Finn said...

Hi Libby, your hooked rug is absolutely beatiful! And it is "so" you, I think....*VBS*

The colors are great and I love the design. And it did seem to go quite quickly considering the small size of those fabric strips!!!
Have a great weekend, Hugs, Finn

Shelina said...

Nice fall project. Glad you finished it. I'm sure you will find just the perfect spot for it.

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Your rug turned out so great!!! Really like it.... :O)......

Linda_J said...

Wow, that looks great, Libby but then so does the quilt in the previous post. I am soooo far behind in my reading--can you tell?

I thought of you a few minutes ago when I saw a hexagon Christmas wreath someone on a quilt list had directed us to the BOM but what I was looking at was HERE scroll down for the pdf file.

Patti said...

Libby, you are so kind and generous to have sent such two beautiful quilts to Linda for the Boys Ranch. I don't know how you could have parted with them, but I know they will be appreciated where they are going.

Angie said...

Libby, the two quilts that you sent for the Boys Ranch are GORGEOUS!! You are one generous quilter. :D And you get soooo much accomplished, such inspiration!

Nancy said...

Wonderful rug, very cute and to finish it only a couple of weeks.
Nancy in mt

Nancy said...

Wonderful rug, very cute and to finish it only a couple of weeks.
Nancy in mt