Monday, October 30, 2006

This is my other spot. Yesterday I showed where I sit to do handwork. This is where I keep my machine set up. I used to take everything down and put it neatly out of sight. Then I only put it away when company was coming. Now it is basically a permanent set-up. At a 90 degree angle to the sewing table, I put up the ironing board to my right. I do put it away because it completely blocks the front door otherwise.The entertainment center is on wheels, so I pull it away from the wall in order to see what's happening while sitting at the machine. At one time, I tried setting up camp in The Princess' former bedroom. Even though I am here alone during the day, I felt isolated in the far corner of the house. This has turned out to be a good solution. Hubby doesn't seem to mind the clutter and I feel right in the thick of things. It has turned out to be a good solution.
Several of you spied quilts in yesterdays post and asked about them. The quilt on the ottoman and on the treadle can be seen in posts from September. The quilt on the wall is called Prairie Star and was made entirely from the scrapbag and stash. It was one of those quilts that spoke to me at the quilt shop. I bought the pattern and had the top pieced the next day. Originally I was thinking of it as a 'spring' quilt because I used pink and blue in the applique -- not colors you normally see in my quilts. After spring was over, I just wasn't ready to put it away for a whole year. It has moved around the house all summer and fall. I'll put it away during Christmas and it will be right back out again after the first of the year.

Update - the fire is now 70% contained. We had a nice marine layer this morning which usually means good things for the fire fighting efforts further inland. They are actively looking for the arsonist that started the fire and the reward has grown quite large. Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

Dawn said...

I"m finally starting to catch up on everyone's lives! I've felt so far away from everyone! I love your quilt and lucky you to have a quilt spot in the thick of things. I also quilt away from everything, but my family likes it that way! So I do get feeling lonely!

Marcie said...

Love that quilt! I love seeing everyone's sewing spots. The film on the fire has been amazing. What a tragedy. I am glad you are OK.

Princess said...

NICE t.v.! I miss home, but only 18 more days until part of home is here!

Angie said...

So glad they've managed to contain the fire that much. You have a lot of friends out here worrying about you. :) Love your quilting setup. I defintely feel that our homes are to be used and played in...LOL and mine certainly looks it! :) That log cabin on the sofa or chair? Looks gorgeous!

Sue said...

Hi Libby!
Looks like you can be right in the thick of things doing what you love!
Our town sent 40 firefighters to help fight your fire. So glad to hear it's close to being contained!

paula, the_quilter said...

I'm so glad the fire is almost out. Fire season is dreadful. I like the treadle top in the previous post. And the quilt.

Cynthia said...

glad to here most of the fire is out. Thanks for sharing the photo of your quilt. I like the colors you have chosen.

Screen Door said...

I've said before, I love how cozy your home is..Good news about the fire.I think the best part about putting quilts away is when you get them back out, it's like the return of an old friend.

Melanie

computerpeach said...

love your spot - sometimes I don't like quilting away from everyone - and sometimes I do. Glad they have the fire contained more and I hope they find the jerk that did it.

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Love your quilt - but I love all of your quilts. :-)

What a cozy spot you have - right in the middle of all the happenings in your home.

Lois R. said...

What a pretty quilt! Your color choices look so warm and comforting.

Glad to hear the news about the fire...

McIrish Annie said...

Libby, I just got back from Houston and have a fabulous picture of a quilt made with over 17,000 hexagons!! It was made by a Japanese woman, I have her name in my stuff and will post it. I was thinking of you and your love of hexagons.

Judy said...

Is your den the same color as your bedroom? Looks similar and I really like it!

Your house is like mine, we set up things for US not for anyone who might stop by. Why not do your work in the den with your hubby, it's your house! My hubby always remarks at how he loves to watch me "create" as he calls it. They like us near!

Linda_J said...

lovely home and lovely quilt.

My house is so small that I cannot get away from him and its a ranch. I do spend most of my day in my sewing room as the machine and the computer are both in here. Funny how I don't seem to feel claustrophobic.

Anonymous said...

Your Prairie Star quilt is just wonderfull. I love the style and the colours of the quilt.