Friday, November 24, 2006

Home again. My how time flies when you are having fun and trying to remember every single thing you see and do. We had such a wonderful time on our trip to Germany and I'm already looking forward to another visit to see even more.
I had no idea what to expect from on this trip - what I might see or do. Just some photos and promises from The Princess that I would fall in love and want to stay. She was so right. While the weather didn't often cooperate, we had a few rainy, drizzly days (the ones when we went siteseeing) the rain seemed to make everything look cleaner and all the colors more vibrant.
Fall colors were still abundant everywhere we went. Quaint villages with cobblestoned streets were all around us. This picture is the view from the ruins of Nanstein-the Sickingen Castle in Landstuhl. The castle was built in 1160 and was destroyed and rebuilt more than once before falling into ruin in 1689.
I must say that it is a treat to have your own personal tour guide for such a trip. The Princess has only been living there since July, but was a champ at taking us around and showing us what she has discovered so far. This is the girl who will take the longest route possible if it means avoiding a freeway she is unfamiliar with at home. Now she's maneuvering around without a full understanding of the language on road signs.
It is just the best feeling to see your very own kid - the one you nagged to brush teeth or clean her room - making her way in the world. She found a very comfortable place to live, has it decorated as cute as can be. Of course I'm proud to see the product of what Hubby and I tried so hard to raise, but that's just patting ourselves on the back. I'm just so happy to see her living a good, productive life -- making good decisions, working hard, experiencing the world and maybe even making a little difference in the lives of others.
More pictures and stories next time. I'm still trying to adjust to the time difference. It'll be a couple of days before I'm back at full speed. In the meantime, I am trying to catch up reading everyone's blogs. While I may not leave a comment everywhere, I'll read everything and do my best to leave a little note here and there. It was a wonderful trip, I miss my girl already, but it does feel good to be home. Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Welcome home - missed you!

I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed Germany so much.

Princess said...

I miss you guys already too. I think it started when I drove away from the airport! I'm glad you guys are so proud of me and had such a good time. I can't wait for you to come back! Maybe I'll have discovered some more places to go to by then! Love you :)

Anonymous said...

Bloglines didn't update you. Neat picture. Now you have visions when you talk to your daughter. Glad you had a great trip...How's Harper?

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Sounds like you had a great time!

I wondered where you had got off to .... then read the post saying you were in Germany!

I loved Germany too when I was there many many many years ago!
So much I saw really did look like a story book picture!

Anonymous said...

So cool that your daughter is following your blog too. It sounds like a wonderful trip and you two must be so proud of your all grown up "child" Bet you can't wait to go back!

Sue said...

That must be a wonderful feeling to see your daughter making her way successfully in a country so far away.
I know you must miss her terribly..
:)

Fiona said...

Glad to hear you had a good time and that Germany lived up to expectations - we like Germany and Austria very much but have never been at this time of year. Looking forward to reading more about your time there.

Dawn said...

Welcome Home! What a wonderful trip that must have been! Oh I would love to go there! And the picture is lovely.

Anonymous said...

I've been to Landsthul - don't remember it, as it was the place of my birth some 30+ years ago....

Judy said...

I pictures are wonderful!! Another place I'd like to visit soon. No worries about bragging...you should pat yourselves on the back! It's not easy to raise a well adjusted, productive person who can function on there own and give back to the world!! Good job!! I'm so glad that you got to visit with her too.