Sunday, November 26, 2006

It seemed like everywhere we turned our trip the view was even more picturesque than the last thing we saw. So many rolling hills of farmland and grape arbors dotted liberally with villages and church steeples standing in the distance. I wonder how many times I sighed or said this is so cute -- it was like stepping directly into a fairy tale.
These pictures are from our day in Heidelberg. It was wet and rainy the whole day, but that only added to the charm. The first photo is a courtyard on the edge of a shopping district. The Princess sent me a photo of this exact spot during summer. It was full of outdoor dining tables. Just the place to sit with a pastry and latte, resting tired feet from an afternoon shopping. I still think it looks pretty good -- even on a rainy afternoon.
The leaves are changing and there were beautiful fall colors everywhere we went. Hubby and I were both drawn to the vibrant yellow of this tree. We just don't see things like this in southern California -- we could have just stared at it all afternoon.
We walked up and down this entire plaza poking in the various shops. We even found a Starbucks where I added to my collection of City Mugs. We found a restaurant for our lunch that had a partial English menu *whew* The three of us selected different dishes and shared around the table. It was very relaxed, no hurry to get us on our way to free up the table. Once we were full and dried out a bit we were on our way again.
The goal was to see the Heidelberg Castle ruins which you can see in the background. How amazing to see building so very old. Here we think buildings from the late 1800's and early 1900's are so very old. Imagine what stories these castle ruins could tell. Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Age is relative? LOL. Lovely and I can see how that would be a great spot for a sit down and a cup of tea or latte.

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a great time in Germany. Did you go to any fabric stores?

Marcie said...

Welcome home Libby. Sounds like you had a lovely trip!

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Another beautiful picture of yet another great spot in Germany!

Anonymous said...

glad you enjoyed your time there. Thanks for sharing some of your photos.

Katie said...

Oh the memories your post brought back for me. My DH and I visited our DD2 and her hubby in the Landstuhl area when they were both in in the Army and stationed there. That was 22 years ago. Castle hasnt'changed. VBG

Judy said...

More wonderful snaps!! Makes me want to jump right into the picture! Now you plan another trip for the summer time and get to experience the hussle of the street during the busy time too!!

Really glad you had such a great time visiting with her, Libby!

Sue said...

How beautiful! My husband's grandparents immigrated from Berlin and we've seen a few pictures. These are beautiful.
I guess Starbucks is everywhere! LOL!!

Anonymous said...

I love the photos. Tons of memories. Three cheers for the Starbucks break

Anonymous said...

Your pics from Germany are so good...I just want to be able to pop into them. I love Germany and so much of Europe! It has been a number of years since I've been there. We are planning another trip within the next several years. It will be good to go back. Thanks for sharing!

Sweet P said...

Oooh, you're taking us along on your trip. Thanks! I've never been to Germany.

Carol said...

Thank you for sharing some pictures. We all get to go on lots of "vacations" with the wonderful pictures. Glad you had a wonderful time.

Dawn said...

Everytime I see pictures of old buildings in Europe I do laugh at our idea of old and their idea of old!