Friday, November 03, 2006

Yesterday, Ann at Quilt Til You Wilt shared some pictures from her trip to Houston including a tremendous quilt made from hexagons --163, 128 hexagons -- to be exact. I can't imagine the time and effort that has gone into the making of this quilt. My mind is simply boggled.
Her post did inspire me to share the progress on my hexagon project. I don't have a pattern -- I'm using a photo of an antique quilt for inspiration. I picked a random amount of fabric and began basting to my paper pieces. I keep each fabric separate in a snack-sized zip-lock bag.
At this time, I have basted something over 4,500 but less than 6,000 pieces. I think I have enough to complete 27 stars with more basting of the light that goes around and the black. I have no idea if I have enough color to make the diamonds that go between the stars. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
I keep the baggies in a basket. When it comes time to make a star, I just reach in and pull out 4 baggies -- I don't want to get caught up in what goes with what. There are definitely fabrics I like and fabrics that I don't, so I make myself use whatever I pull out. I have five different lights that go around the stars and the black will be all the same.
Right now I am working on getting a supply of stars that need black only to take on an upcoming trip. That way I only have to travel with one bag of hexagons. I would like to make three more for a total of eight to take on the trip. It takes a long time to get all the way around with the black, so that should be more than plenty to keep me busy. I have some basting of blacks before then, too.
I started working on this at the beginning of the year. I don't work on it everyday and I have no idea when it will be done. I do know I'm going to love it when it is.


 Posted by Picasa

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ABSOLUTELY love this!! Someday I plan to begin a hexagon project. Please keep us posted on your progress!

Lois R. said...

How cool. I'm anxious to see more of this.

Carolyn said...

Libby, your stars a beautiful. This is going to be an incredible quilt. I admire you for taking on a project like this! :o)

Lisa D. said...

I'm not drawn to the Grandmother's Flower Garden type quilts, but I absolutely LOVE your hexagon star blocks - gorgeous!

Hedgehog said...

I love your hexagons. The stars are really difference from the typical hexagon patterns you see.

McIrish Annie said...

Libby, Keep going!! It looks great! what is the size of your finished hexagons??

Anonymous said...

NEAT! I love this project. (I started a hexagon quitl once upon a time ago, but I gave it away.)

What are you basing around?

May Britt said...

WOW....this is amazing. Hexagons are so nice to bring on a trip. I used to do that with my diamond stars. How big is the hexagon. Not big I guess. This quilt will be a treasure.

Sue said...

I love the colors you've chosen. I know it will be beautiful when you complete it...
:)

Screen Door said...

I love the stars..Have you ever noticed... it's always the Grandmother's flower garden quilts or the hexagon quilts that make the movies? Just think, you're making a "movie star" quilt......

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

I love your stars - after I finish my flowers I might consider doing some stars. I'm stuck on my project - I need some help from you but I don't how to ask you my question. LOL I set it aside recently cuz I got frustrated - makes me mad cuz you know how much I love my GFG project. :-)

Anonymous said...

I love your hexagon stars. I like hexagon quilts and have made several Grandmothers Flower Garden quilts. But for some reason, I never thought of stars.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Love your hexagons, I have some buried around here somewhere, I'll have to search. It's a great pattern but I hate the basting, hence the lack of progress.

Judy said...

Okay I need information!! Are you using pre-cut papers, or are you cutting them? and what size? Seem very tiny.

I have one half finished using the mylar pieces that I need to get interested in again. I already downsized from a twin to a table top cover, but I really need to get that out one day!

I think yours is going to look fabulous! I love the colors and the way the stars look!

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Your Hexagon quilt if fabulous... I just started making Hexagons.... boy you have me thinking out side the box now!!! mmmmm .... would love to see the picture of the antique quilt you saw done this way!!

Linda_J said...

Libby, this is fantastic---love the star arrangement. WOW, girl! I wish you had stuck a coin or a ruler near some of that to get some idea of their true size.

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

Yes they look tiny! I like the star shape. I turned a friend into a hopeless hexagon addict this week - she has already emailed me saying that she can't stop (evil grin).

Finn said...

Hi Libby, what an outstanding project!! I am so very, very impressed at your effort, and I love what you are making. A super idea..it't going to be one spectacular quilt. The nice thing is that there is no hurry on such as this. Time keeps moving whether we are doing something or not, and your time with the hexs is beingw WELL spent! You go girl!!! Hugs, Finn

KCQuilter said...

Wowzer, that's going to be a beauty! The black just sets it off. I need to pull out my shoebox of hexes and see what they can become.

anne bebbington said...

I'm a real hexagon fan - yours look so tiny - what size are they? When I looked at the first photo I thought it was bags of beads - only when I read further on I realised they were actually hexagons - I agree they can be so much more fun than boring old flowers

Cynthia said...

very nice Libby. I am really tempted to have a go at making some hexagons after seeing a few bloggers that have shown their hexagon projects.

Patti said...

This quilt is so very marvelous! I've done a little of this and it's really addicting isn't it. What a great take along project. Do you have any idea what size you are shooting for - wall, lap or bed size? What size are your hexagons - I couldn't find that in your post. Sorry if it was there and I missed it.

lori said...

I am not a crafty person at all. I am looking forward to seeing the quilt when you are finished.

Nancy said...

Libby, you are creating an heirloom, it will be stunning, Nancy

Dawn said...

Oh I'm so glad you shared your progress! Remember when you first showed these and I said I had the same hexagons but was too chicken to start but you inspired me! Well that feeling went away fast! :) But seeing more done is just wonderful. I have to do it!

Fiona said...

That's going to be a long term project ... but it's also going to be fabulous!

Sheila said...

Unfortunately Grandmother's Flower Garden quilts don't move me, but I can appreciate the work in them. However, this is probably the most beautiful thing I've seen made of hexagons... and gives me one more 'someday' quilt idea. LOL Stunning.

Anonymous said...

WOW....this is amazing. Hexagons are so nice to take anywhere and work with.
I have done a couple of hex quilts but yours looks much smaller.
How big is the hexagon. This quilt will be a treasure, and I love your colours..