Friday, December 01, 2006

I am fussy about my calendars. I like them to have pictures that depict the season or holiday of each month. It can sometimes be a long, drawn-out process for me to make a selection. First finding a look or graphic that pleases my eye, then testing each month for it's 'seasonal applicability'. I always anticipate turning over a new month on the calendar, but particularly when December arrives. This morning when I turned the page I was humming It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas . . .

I began hanging Christmas quilts last weekend - they are starting to look a little more relaxed now that they have been unfurled for several days.



This quilt is another that I look forward to putting up each year. It is Little Ben's Quilt by Blackbird Designs. This is actually the 3rd that I have made. The first had much lighter lights and much brighter reds. A friend had admired it very much, so last year I gave it to her as a housewarming gift. I then selected new, darker fabrics to remake for our home - a win/win situation for me and my friend. I had plenty enough to make two, so I did just that and gave the other to a friend who had had a particularly difficult year.


Linda J commented on the 'kite-shaped' applique I put on one of the baskets. It was a left over from piecing this little quilt last Christmas. I showed a photo of it's spring sister back on Aug. 9. I thought doing it in reds would resemble a poinsettia, so I had to make it again.
No sewing has happened in a few days. I think I'll start a fire in the fireplace, pop in a dvd and work on hexagons tonight. Sounds like fun. Posted by Picasa

20 comments:

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Oh I reallllly like your Little Ben quilt! Both the quilts you posted are very nice, but that Little Ben Quilt is just adorable!! Your bowl looks great sitting with that little quilt too :O)...

Anonymous said...

Libby your Christmas quilts are lovely. I especially like the angel one. It's so different to any other i have seen. We're heading out today to buy a tree and then spending the rest of the day decorating inside and outside.

Sue said...

I love the Quilt with the stockings and the Santa Hat! Your house must look so Christmasy when you have them displayed..
:)

Judy said...

Both quilts are gorgeous!! You are making me envious of christmas quilts! I must get busy this year and make a few for next year. I have only one...no two actually.

I like the little flowers too. Fun to make!

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love the Christmas quilts!!!

Anonymous said...

Your little Ben quilt is lovely. I think I am going to find my quilts soon and hang them up too. I usually do it closer to christmas, but why..... I want to enjoy them longer and now I am looking for the christmas feeling. Perhaps it will help hanging up som christmas quilts.

Carol said...

We are decorating tomorrow and you have helped me really get in the spirit. I love Little Ben's quilt...I think my new little grandson will need one for next year. The little quilt with the bowl is wonderful. Is there a pattern?

Sweet P said...

You have adorable Christmas quilts. I really need to make one for me, perhaps next summer.

Lizzy said...

Your christmas quilts are a real treasure. I have to make some. I have been working on a tree skirt for 2 years now and its not that hard. Seems I'm to busy during the hoildays. And not interested in christmas stuff the rest of the year to work on it. Your post has really put me in the christmas decorating mood.
Lizzy

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Libby, I love, love you Christmas quilts. The Garden Angel was precious and now Little Ben quilt is too cute for words. I love your style!

McIrish Annie said...

Love the basket and quilt. we are in the throes of putting up christmas also. Last night, DH went out with friends and I was able to stitch down 3/4s of a binding that has needed to be done for months!! Ahhhh, a quiet evening with christmas music, hand work and a cup of tea. are we getting boring??

Dawn said...

Oh Libby! I LOVE that Little Ben Quilt! And I love your darker version! But the kite shaped quilt is so cute too. Now I almost want to run down and make that too. But where will I find the time! Can I just have one of everything on your post from today???!!!!! I got a smile out of your turning the calendar page. I always look forward to that too!

Anonymous said...

Just love that pointsettia quilt!

Shelina said...

Both of your quilts are so festive, they would put anybody in the holiday spirit. I've stayed away from seasonal quilts because I want something I can use all year around, but you are certainly tempting me to make more things that I can take out for special occasions.

Patti said...

Sounds like a marvelous plan - stitching on your hexagons. Your little Ben quilt is wonderful! Which of their books is it in? I think I have all their books but I don't remember that one. I especially love the checkerboard nine patch border. What wonderful gifts for your friends!

Anonymous said...

Love the quilts. I have heard that "kite" one called "Texas Star." No matter, I like it. Was it English paper pieced - ala a hexagon quilt?

Nancy said...

Libby, your Christmas quilts are just wonderful! Nancy in MT

Anonymous said...

soo cute and Libby like and sweet of you to share with your buddies. I hope that those reindeers are fused or something!

Anonymous said...

I got a copy of that "kit" of paper pieces! (I am seeing little blue flowers with yellow centers and green backgrounds!)

Lucy said...

I like your quilt and your basket.. It a great idea to use the stars like this