Friday, December 15, 2006

These are the decorations of the generations. They represent four generations of women in my family beginning with my grandma.

I don't ever recall Grandma's house being decorated for Christmas. All of my memories are of Grandma at our house for Christmas. She always came a day or two before and stayed for a day or two after. I often went home with her for the remaining days of Christmas vacation from school.

The Santa on the left was the one thing in her home that reflected the holiday. He was on display year'round on the dining room buffet. He is a bank with a slot for coins in his sack. I was always intrigued by him - we never had Christmas decorations on display all the time in our house. He was a happy reminder whenever I saw him that Christmas would soon come again.

The choir boys are actually a music box that plays O Come All Ye Faithful. This was my mom's favorite Christmas decoration. She always seemed to have great delight in winding up the key to make the music play for the first time each year. The music box doesn't play anymore, but I can still hear the music in my head. It was always fun to hear the song at a very fast tempo and then dwindle down until you weren't sure if you had just heard the last note.

The Chimney Santa was a gift I made for Mom in Camp Fire Girls when I was about 8 or 9. He is made from the chimney of an oil lamp and is meant to hold candy. Just lift the top of his hat and fill him up. He used to hold peppermints every year. These days he rests empty -- the glass seems so thin, I don't think it could take many more years of clinking hard candies. It amazes me to think that something made by my own hand is closing in on being classified as an antique.

Last, but not least, is the clothespin reindeer The Princess made for our tree. I really like this little guy with his holly leaf saddle and googley eyes. He has been with us now for 20 years. My where does the time go? Even though the years fly by, it's so nice to have these mementos to warmly remind us of what has gone before.

18 comments:

DubiQuilts - Debbi said...

I too don't remember the holidays at my grandparents. They to came to our house and stayed for a few days and I went back with them during the winter vacation.

valleyjoes48-susie said...

I love how you did them by generations! They're each so special too! I also can't believe how fast time flies by..
((hugs))
Susie

hardenbrookgirl said...

These are the best kind of Christmas decorations - the ones that bring back happy memories of Christmases past. Make sure your children know the history so the stories will continue to be passed along with the decorations.

Rabbit Stitchings said...

You have been very busy since I have been missing from Blogland!

Your great decorations from the past,,,

I too am really enjoying the beautiful chocolate browns out now in fabrics....

Your wonderful holiday deocorating and what fun to sit at Disneyland and make hexagons!!

I am soon to return to blogland on a regular basis,,I am trying to squeeze in a little reading tonight... so much going on right now,,, but should slow down some after this weekend.... well or speed up...depends on what happens! VBG

Katie said...

Your Santas are more precious than gold.

Judy said...

Libby, these are so fun to look at and see how as the years have gone by. The decorations have changed and yet stayed the same. I love to see the old things and collect quite a few from tag sales, but the ones from FAMILY are the best!

I don't remember my grandparents decorating either, but I was lucky enough to get some of the old balls from her attic when we cleaned out the house. Those balls are some of my most treasured!

Carol said...

What wonderful ornaments and they are so wonderful because they hold such great memories.

Lucy said...

What a treasures... And is the quilt ( where you displayed your treasures on ) also a antique heirloom ??

Cynthia said...

what special decorations they are from each generation. Something to treasure.

McIrish Annie said...

libby, we have ornaments that our boy made for us over the years. we still put them on the tree and he gets embarassed. but that's what family traditions are all about.
love your christmas treasures

Susie Q said...

Those decorations are the best! Family pieces with those memories make it all so special!

Your quilts are gorgeous!

I wish I had such an amazing talent!

I will be back to visit a lot!

Fondly,
Sue

Shelina said...

That is a sweet set of momentos of holiday decorations from the generations. I really like your quilt too. Congratulations on finishing, and happy that it was an easy quilt to make. We need those from time to time to make up for all those others.

Finn said...

Hi Libby, good to be here again..*VBS* Hope you are hanging in there with the holidays coming so quickly.
The decorations are such fun. I've seen the reindeer done before but the others are new to me. What a great chimney Sants..*VBS* Love the one that was your Grandma's. I wonder if it was a promotional item?> The bank part is very clever. Take care of you, Hugs, Finn

Dawn said...

I"m loving everyones special Christmas figurines! Geez, if I ever get mine out I'll have to share mine!

Linda_J said...

What fun to visit your blog and see all the holiday decorations and so forth! My house is going to be the Scrooge house this year, I'm afraid so I'll live vicariously through you, LOL.

I love the quilt in one of your earlier posts--gotta love not having to seam the backs when you can do so making that wide backing worth every penny!

Lois R. said...

How cute, your 4 generations of christmas decor! I'm partial to the carolers.

Chris said...

I just love pulling out my ornaments and remembering who they belonged to in the past. It makes special memories.

Sweet P said...

I remember of those "technology" toys. I got the latest tech toy from my boss today - a digital photo frame. Now I don't need a photo album . . . or do I???