Tuesday, December 12, 2006

This was the view I had yesterday afternoon as I worked on my hexagons. No, it's not another tree in my home -- I was sitting in the lobby of Disney's Grand Californian Hotel. Our power company sent out a letter a couple of weeks ago saying that they would be shutting off our power for 9 hours on the 11th to do routine maintenance. While I can entertain myself for a while, 9 hours seemed like a long time so I planned a day to be out and about.
I dropped Harper off at day camp and headed north to The OC. I stopped in at a quilt shop, didn't find anything of interest so continued on to Disneyland Resort. Hubby and I have had annual passes for a few years now so my parking and admission were already taken care of. There really is magic all around, the decorations are beautiful at this time of year and I enjoyed walking around the parks to take it all in.
It's not fun to go on rides when you are alone. I prepared for that by taking my English paper piecing along in a little ziplock bag. When I was done with lunch and my little tour, I headed to the lobby of the Grand Californian Hotel. The hotel is built in the Craftsman style and furnished the same. The lobby has a giant fireplace and sofas, easy chairs and rocking chairs set around for conversation and relaxing. A grand piano is usually at the center, but during the holidays it's pushed to the side to make room for this spectacular tree. Someone comes and plays the piano for about 30 minutes at a time - Christmas music, Disney tunes, show tunes, I even recognized a song by The Eagles.
I found an open chair with a table and lamp beside it and this perfect view of the tree. I stitched merrily away, got a chance to people watch a little and enjoy the music. Not a bad way to spend the day.

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

Your afternoon stitching in the hotel sounded wonderful and relaxing! I really like your Christmas trees and decorations that you posted the other day.

Screen Door said...

Sounds like you had fun...My Mom always says that if you can't entertain yourself -- to like being by yourself, how can you expect anyone else to like you?!?!?! OK if I were with you.. we'd get the pianist to start doing sing alongs with us... we'd have our starbucks and quilt during intermission---You're laughing now... my work is done...
Be sweet--

Sweet P said...

Sounds like a great way to spend the afternoon. The tree is beautiful. Welcome to Beta. I made the switch recently too.

Forgetmenot said...

That sounds like a delightful day to me!

Judy said...

Wow, there is no way I'd have the moxie to do that by myself, not really. I think I would feel too exposed or disjointed. I would have been fine alone at home without power as long as it wasn't too hot. Glad you had such a great time! We used to get passes every year for Busch Gardens which is about 25 minutes away.

On a different note, I too had the pleasure of finding myself locked out of adding comments to anyones Beta blog. Just a little thankyou from the blogger people I guess. Luckily I had a Gmail account already that hubby set up for me so that worked. But I may have to switch soon too.

Shelina said...

Sounds like a nice way to spend the day. I've done handwork at a library and outside the conservatory. It's nice to be somewhere festive, and you don't have to worry about phones ringing, and housework calling.