Monday, December 11, 2006

The trees are trimmed, the stockings are hung. Now we can take a few moments to sit back, relax and enjoy the season. This year we purchased a new tree for the living room. It's a little taller and much fuller than the tree we have been using for the last 10 years. The only thing it lacks at this point is a topper. I have been looking and haven't come upon one yet.
I couldn't bear to get rid of our old tree. I fell in love with it when I first laid eyes on it and couldn't wait to bring it home. This year it moved into our bedroom along with any ornament that is an animal and the angel. I have taken a lot of ribbing over the years about this tree -- but it doesn't matter because I have really enjoyed it and now will continue to do so.
The third tree has wooden ornaments that I painted back in the early 90's. Originally the tree was one made from dowels covered in torn fabric. While the ornaments held up the tree did not. Last year I put them on this little artificial tree and stuck it in the milk can as a holder until I could decide where to put it. Voila -- the milk can made a great holder -- quite a happy accident.
The last picture is the tree skirt I made for The Princess' home. Inspired by the construction paper reindeer that children make in school and the quilts by Jan Patek, I traced Hubby and my hand and footprints and made this little skirt. We all have a piece of handprint art from our kids somewhere, but how many have the same from their parents? The little candy cane toes you see at the edge of the photo belong to The Princess herself.



 Posted by Picasa

18 comments:

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

I love it all - a fuller tree is nice but I really do like the tall skinny tree. I'm considering getting one like that for future Christmas'. They really speak to me. Silly, huh!

The handprint and footprint idea is ingenious - what a wonderful imagination you have, Libby!

Tracey said...

I love it, Libby!! I have several trees put up in my home too...and also get some slack for them. Especially the one in the master bedroom. I LOAD the lights on that one. :o)

Anonymous said...

The pictures are beautiful. I think so many time people hurry through things. Christmas is a time that many people sit back and try to hang onto time long gone. In a small way -- they try to keep things from changing so fast...
Great trees...

Angie said...

I love them all...can I come spend Christmas with you??? LOL How lovely to have the tall slender tree in your bedroom dressed up in Christmas finery of angels and animals! Oh, I too love everything about Christmas!!! I'm usually running around acting like an idiot with a Santa hat on. ROFL But a child I definitely am during the Holidays! :) I'm sooo behind on my decorating tho...if I ever get it to a point that it looks like a "dressed" Christmas tree I'll post a picture on my blog. :)

Sue said...

Libby,
I love your tree skirt! What a precious keepsake for your daughter! I know she'll just treasure it.
Your trees look so festive..
(wish I was done with everything I have to do!)
:)

joyce said...

The hand and foot tree skirt is cute. I just ran across a foot tracing of my 19 year old Granddaughter when she was about 2. Now she wears size 10. So funny. Where did the time go?

Anonymous said...

Oh what a great tree skirt! I love that idea. your trees look great :) xoxo melzie

Anonymous said...

Love the hand-print horns on your reindeer! Your daughter is going to love it.

No trees in this house - 5 indoor cats! But I really kind of like your skinny one and if I was able to have one I'd be looing for one like it.

Anonymous said...

I love all the trees, we have two. A small one in the den and larger real one in the livingroom.

I love your tree skirt. I have construction paper reindeer that my sons made in school and now I know what I a going to do with them.

Judy said...

You know I saw the reindeer and realized the antlers wer hand prints but never realized the heads were feet!! Perfect!!

The trees are wonderful! All of them just perfect and pretty. I think we will have to buy a new tree for next year, mine was falling apart as I put it up this year. I love the little guy in the milk can! *s*

Now, I would like to see a picture of the quilt rack that's behind the big tree please! The one with like 5 or 6 quilts on it?? Looks fabulous!

Carol said...

I love every single thing...your house just looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I love the tree skirt! What a marvelous idea! Your trees are all gorgeous too.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Love all your trees and am so pleased you got to keep your favourite in your room. The reindeer tree skirt is brilliant tracey

Anonymous said...

Lovely. The reindeer antlers made me smile - only this week I saw a little boy wearing a reindeer hat with antlers made from craft paper cut round handshapes just like yours. What a cool idea for a tree skirt.

Anonymous said...

what a lovely idea for a tree skirt!!

All the Christmas trees look lovely. I have never thought to have more than one tree in the house. I think i will buy another one after Christmas when the sales are on ready for next year.

Katie said...

Oh what a beautiful home and trees. I sure enjoyed visiting. I don't think you will ever be able to get another top as cute of the one you have now.

Marcie said...

Your home looks lovely, Libby! I esp. like the tree in the milk can! And the handprints-that cracks me up! --Marcie (my name might show up on Beta)

Shelina said...

Your house is festively decked out. I've decorated mine too for the first time in more than six years. It certainly makes a big difference in the house for it to be so decorated. Gets you in the mood better.