Sunday, January 07, 2007



Done with the old -- Done with the new. I don't intend to make any lists of UFO's or set any hard and fast goals on what I want to accomplish in the new year. In 2006, I sat down and did just that and then promptly lost the list of UFO's (it's in this desk . . . somewhere) and worked on what I felt like anyway. While I am fairly good at completing what I start, there are those projects that have fallen by the wayside over time. The reasons vary to explain why a project gets set aside -- a gift needs to be made, a seasonal project comes along, a technique too difficult, poor fabric choices. You get the idea.
Millennium Garden is one such quilt. I came to it late in the game. I knew nothing of BOM's or that fabric lines come out and then go away. I saw the quilt completed and knew I really liked it. It was still 2001 and I could complete it before the millennium year was over. I began my search for the pattern(s) and fabrics. I found a shop on-line that still carried it and had everything in stock (except as it later turned out block 6 which I scoured local sale bins to find). When the box arrived in the mail, I got started right away and I enjoyed every minute of it.
In 2001, my dad was very ill with what turned out to be his final illness. I prepared all the applique blocks to have on hand for traveling to his house and in no time the applique was complete and the top was assembled. Still a very portable project, I took it with me on my trips and worked on the hand quilting. Plenty of time to complete it and have it hanging before 2002 began. Then as often happens in times of stress and illness, family dramas began to crop up. It was not a good time and just like I was tired of looking at some of my family members, I grew tired of looking at this quilt.
It aged for a while in the corner. When I next picked it up, I could still smell the perfume of a particularly unlikeable member of the family. Back in the corner it went. I really had a bad attitude about this quilt. For as much as I loved the pattern and fabrics when I first started, I honestly toyed with chucking the whole thing in the garbage to rid myself of memories from that time of turmoil. But I just let it sit in the corner, wadded up and waiting. Last January, I made my list of UFO's and there it was front and center. The oldest project on the list. I got it out, it didn't smell anymore and I quilted away. But I still thought about those bad days. Back in the corner it went.
Another new year. On a Yahoo!Group there was some chatter about the various stages others were at in completing this quilt. I went and pulled it out. Had a little look to see what was left to do. Quilting the borders and part of that was done. How ridiculous to allow this to sit anymore. I got it out, threaded my needle and got to work. Two evenings and two movies. That's all it took to finish the quilting, add a sleeve and stitch down the binding. Guess what? I really like this quilt. We slept under it last night and now it is hanging in the dining room so I can look at it all day long.
This morning I finished up the little table runner made from the kit I purchased earlier this week. You remember, the one that I just couldn't give as a gift. The top went together very quickly, the applique was a snap. With minimal quilting it looked good to me. I stitched the binding on while Hubby read the paper.
The first two quilts completed in the new year. Done with the old -- Done with the new.
Posted by Picasa

21 comments:

Judy said...

I like them both, but I knew I would! I've been toying with the idea of hand quilting the BOM from KC Star, but I'm worried about exactly what you talked about... getting bored or it taking so long that it languishes in the corner and never gets done. Plus I'm not that good at it yet and worried that I'll ruin it. But It needs special quilting and the machine quilting will have to be as special. Things to worry about all around.

I also understand the "history" too. I gave away the crocheted afghan I made while sitting with my father waiting for his to pass away. Couldn't use it after that.

Glad you finished the quilt! It's got to feel good to have it finally done and on display.

joyce said...

It's really a very nice quilt. Good that you've finished it and can forget about any bad associations. Sometimes things just need the right amount of time.

Patti said...

Libby, I'm so very glad you dug this out and finished it. It's a spectacular quilt! We quilters can certainly understand about the history. I think all of us have either quilts or UFO's that remind us of what was going on at the time. Thank God you didn't throw this masterpiece in the garbage!

1chartfp@comcast.net

Susie said...

Libby,
I'm so glad you shared this beautiful work. I do understand about the memories associated with projects.
Isn't it interesting how even the faint scent of a perfume can trigger the memory of a person (sometimes good, sometimes bad)
I know you'll enjoy looking at this and feel good about completing it!
hugs!

Dawn said...

Oh Libby! It is so beautiful hanging on your wall! And how sweet you slept under it last night! No wonder it got laid by the wayside for awhile! I have some like that. I"m glad now that it is finished and you are falling in love with it again, because it really is beautiful!

Chris said...

Just love the muted colors in this quilt. Glad you finished it and are enjoying it.

Screen Door said...

I love this quilt. The birds really catch my eye.

May Britt said...

Both are lovely quilts. And I know the feeling you have had about these quilts. I have also things in my boxes which I have bad memorys about and I do not feel like finishing them just right now.

Carol said...

Oh Libby I am so glad you didn't throw this one in the garbage. A friend of mine threw her's away and I almost cried. What a beauty it is...glad you got beyond the history...I do so understand though...I have one upstairs that has been hanging around way too long, and I really do love it, but bad memories while I was working on it. I'll have to take a lesson from you :)

Angie said...

Love, love, love them, Libby! And oh I had to laugh about being tired of looking at some projects like you get tired of looking at some family members...been there and done that, girlfriend!! ROFL And good for you for finishing it up! It is really a lovely quilt. And I LOVE that runner--looks like my bird that I worked on in, what, November? :) I can't claim any finishes, but I can claim a couple of beginnings! LOL

Finn said...

Hi Libby, I've been here, but as with Linda J. blogger just wouldn't let me in...frustrating! I fiddle with the popup blocker both off and on this a.m. and finally, I can get where I want to go!!! Darn improvements!

I love the story of the Millenium quilt, and can certainly see why it needed to age. It seems that with time comes perspective. A good thing I think. It's a lovely quilt, and I'm so happy you got the worst of the bad memories worked out.
And what an adorable table runner. I can see why you bought it...*VBS*
love the fence quilt too..such a good place to display them. Big hugs, Finn

Nancy said...

Libby, it looks beautiful on your wall, glad you decided enough time had passed to finish it. Nancy in MT

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Libby, I'm glad you decided to complete the quilt - it looks beautiful on your wall. And, the tablerunner is adorable.

Cheryl said...

The quilt is beautiful and it's spot on the wall is wonderful! I'm glad that you set it aside for a time and now can enjoy it.

Shelina said...

Congratulations on two big finishes already in the year. And they are both beautiful.
I understand how a quilt can have a history attached to a particularly bad time, but now, the quilt history also includes the resolution, which makes it full and complete.

The Calico Cat said...

Botha re lovely, thatnks so much for sharing them & their stories.... (The not so great memories have their place too...)

Faith said...

Sometimes we just need a break from items from time to time as we can get fed up of them and feel like chucking them away at times.
Glad you finished this and its interesting that in the end you got to like and love the quilt yourself despite the bad memories at the time of making this quilt. last yeah I finished a cot quilt which had been stuck in my storage box for years and years. I was going to make the cotquilt for myself but I got married, got divorced and the years just went by. Knowing there was a new baby arriving (my great-niece) I got this old cotquilt out and finished it and wow its the best thing Ive ever done.

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Libby the table runner is very pretty! :O)

Your quilt is just stunning, I love it! Its nice that some time took care of the negative feelings associated with it for you, its a keepper for sure!

I hope this post this time, I gave up yesterday, trying again now!

Nancy said...

I like both your old and new finishes.

I did make my list of UFOs but I will not set goals for myself. I'll do what I want when I want as long as it makes me happy and doesn't hurt someone else. (And hopefully at some point this year it will make me happy to finish some stuff. LOL!)

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Well done, especially overcoming the "obstacles" to finishing your quilt. I am very careful about not sewing a project for me when life is troubled as I then only see the trouble in the quilt. Pleased that has worn off for you. Cheers, Tracey

Marcie said...

Hi Libby, Boy you are the busy one! Your two quilts shown are wonderful. I want to make a primitive type applique quilt and worry that I will have trouble completing it. Yours is fabulous! Sometimes a little aging is necessary. So glad you completed it.