Monday, January 08, 2007

From this . . .















to this . . .


















in only two marathon sessions,



















How is that quilting supplies can get in such a mess? Don't we fret over precise cutting and accurate seam allowances? It seems as though we would also be meticulous with our supplies. Well, it seems that way.
This room has been a disgrace for months now. It started back in August when we painted our bedroom. We moved a lot of things around to spare them from paint. Most things have been moved back, but a few items are going to now take up permanent residence here. Add in a couple of shopping sprees -- in person and on line, where the loot was stacked up on the bed to put away later. Next came the holidays. Gift wrapping supplies are also stored in here. A scrap of paper, a tossed piece of raffia (I like to use brown craft paper with raffia for ribbon and occasionally through in a piece with some color for fun. When The Princess was younger we had a 'Laura Ingalls Wilder' Christmas that included brown paper and no tape. I really liked how the packages looked under my tree. Now I wrap this way for all occasions.)
This week I'm back to my weekly class. That means a new project and more to add to the mess. I couldn't take it anymore. There are still some things to be put away. I need to make a quick trip to buy some storage boxes. I have decided it's time to graduate to official storage containers and leave the cardboard boxes behind. I have a list -- a box for wool, punchneedle supplies and pre-cut strips 1",
1 1/4", 1 1/2", 2" and 2 1/2". There are projects in progress in various cardboard boxes. I'll think about their fate on another day.

19 comments:

DubiQuilts - Debbi said...

Great Job Cleaning! Does a clean studio make a better quilter? I hoped so that is why I cleaned my studio. As soon as I started the next project it was a mess again. Oh well it looks nice for awhile.

Carol said...

Good for you Libby...that is always such a job. I don't know how my sewing room gets to be such a mess.

Susie said...

My office is one room that needs to be decluttered and soon!
Here I sit blogging among messes!
Yours looks just great!
:)

Patti said...

I'm very impressed! You did a marvelous job straightening up. Why is it we hang onto our cardboard boxes for years and years? I finally started putting our Christmas decorations in huge plastic tubs two years ago when they went on sale right after Christmas. Some of the cardboard boxes were over 25 years old! Won't it feel great working in there now!

1chartfp@comcast.net

joyce said...

You did a great cleaning job! I am sure your productivity will go up. I just did my studio too and it's so nice to work in an organized space.

Cheryl said...

It looks so good, Libby! I bet it just feels wonderful to walk into that room now!

Angie said...

Ah Libby, I know I shouldn't feel this way LOL but it does my heart good to see that someone's materials and supplies crawl around and gather into 'piles' until we are forced to give them 'homes' of their own. :) You did a GREAT job there, girlfriend!

QuiltingFitzy said...

I used to do all my wrapping in brown paper too. Red velvet ribbons...oh yum. Then for awhile I sprayed the brown wrappings (after already wrapped) with gold or silver glitter spray. You should see the pretty shimmer under the tree!

Great cleaning job!

May Britt said...

You did a great job. You are wondering how it can get this way. When we are working on projects, we are so eager to go on with it that we have no time tidy up after us. That's the way I work, and I believe I am not the only one. I tear fabric out of my drawers to see if it match and I have to time to put it back LOL
By the way....I envie you those big rolls with backing I see in the photo :)

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Way to go, Libby. It looks great. Now, relax and enjoy!

Faith said...

ohhh spring cleaning and clearing for you Libby thats looks so great what youve done there... this will inspire you to quilt some more...

KCQuilter said...

Wowzee wow wow--what a huge difference! Your space looks fantastic. We'll be expecting even more of those fantastic quilts you turn out (no pressure LOL).

Screen Door said...

Man - you rock!!!!!How nice this looks. I think the reason quilting stuff gets 'out of place' is that when to start envisioning a quilt, everything else go my the wayside. You got your mind on THAT quilt.....I love to wrap things like that too. Raffia is like bread and milk in my house...got to have it..

Cynthia said...

well done Libby on cleaning out the room. As you know i cleaned out my sewing room recently and now i'm trying to keep it reasonably tidy even when i'm working in there.

I don't know how i missed the last post but i wanted to say i'm glad you have completed that quilt even though it held bad memories earlier on. It's gorgeous.

dot said...

Woozers, you did a great job. I need to do that to my sewing room. What an inspiration.

Linda_J said...

What do they say--once something sits there long enough it becomes part of the landscape, no matter how out of place it might be?

Good for you getting it all decluttered and more usable. It certainly looks like you have a handle on exactly what is contained in the various containers and can pick which project appeals to you at the time.

Judy said...

Job well done! I bought two rolling carts for scraps about a year ago and tucked them under the quilt table and have loved having them! Easy to roll right next to the machine if I want. I need another shelf for fabric too. ALthough if I move my books I could use that one. Of course the best idea is to booot out Wally's...our computer and have ALL that space! I doubt that will happen but a girl can dream right!

I surprised the shoe thingys held up well I always ended up with ones that sagged to badly. Again!! Job well done Libby! Wanna come over to my house?

Dawn said...

Wow looks wonderful! Even after I clean my quilting area looks like a hurricane!

Tanya said...

You don't want to come by and clean up my sewing mess, do you? I'd be ever so grateful...