Friday, January 19, 2007


Introducing Bob, the new working name of this quilt. I had been mulling over what I wanted to appliqué in the corners, looking at quilt books to see what might tickle my fancy. I noticed that the plume-y things that I always thought of as big leaves are sometimes called Princess Feathers. I had pretty much already decided that I wanted to use birds. Now I was on a theme -- feathered star, princess feathers, birds with feathers. Who knows maybe even a little embroidery using a feather stitch. Then, I came up with a name. I thought it was clever and I was very proud. So proud that I called Hubby at work to tell him all about it. I listed and the elements and asked him to guess the name and he came up with Bob. So Bob it is.I still like my name. So in order to incorporate it, I thought about movies on Lifetime - 'television for women'. They are so fond of using a colon then a subtitle. Bob: A Feather In My Cap. After I made a huge mess auditioning fabric, I spent the afternoon cutting out the pieces and getting them glued down. Now I can cuddle up in my favorite chair and stitch away the evening. I'm so happy.I went to the quilt show yesterday - Road To California. A very enjoyable day. I have to say that I am horrible about remembering the quilts. I look at them, I like them, I appreciate the hard work that has gone in and then it's over. By the time I get home I can't remember what I have seen. I know they inspire me because I always have the feeling that I just want to get home to sew. But not before I have a chance to peruse the vendors. I think I did well there, too. I have been collecting books from the various state quilt documentation projects. This year I added Virginia and Tennessee. Some hand-dyed fabric that I have been wanting for a couple of years now, and a piece of Daiwabo Taupe that very nicely coordinated with my other purchase.I finished early enough to beat the traffic home. That gave me time to stop at a quilt shop I had never been to before. I will have to add it to my favorites. It's about an hour from home, but the sale room was sensational. Everyone was friendly, they had lots of samples, just a terrific atmosphere.Harper spent the day at doggy daycare. She loves to go but she is more than excited about coming home. She just jumps and spins and can't seem to settle down. Nothing can bring a smile faster than a puppy pal that happy to see you.
Posted by Picasa

31 comments:

Diana said...

Wow, Libby, it just keeps getting better and better! And I NEVER knew those were called princess feathers.

paula, the quilter said...

Even though I'm not a plaid person I think that is a lovely quilt.

Judy said...

I love it and I was going to ask how many sewing fairies you had at your house, then I realized you had it basted, not all sewn. I LOVE it!! I really love the birds in these sorts of quilts. You did a great job on the miters too!

Judy said...

My sweetie just saw your emnlarged quilt on the computer and wanted to know who did the beautiful work!!

Dawn said...

Oh my gosh Libby! This is wonderful! I love it so much it makes me want to copy you! I LOVE it! And I love your name! That is so perfect for it!

kjquilts said...

This is turning out really nice. I like your choice of fabrics and the applique in the corners fits perfectly with the theme of the quilt. I must admit that I don't get the name but I am slow on these kind of things. LOL!

Patti the Hardenbrook Girl said...

Marvelously wonderful - but the name is hysterical! My kids named their CRV Bob because it's red - like Bob the Tomato in vegetales. Didn't mean anything to me until they showed us a couple of the videos. And they don't have any kits!

Back to your quilt - I love what you've designed to go in the corner triangles. It's so much fun watching this quilt evolve.

Quilterin said...

Libby, that turns out wonderful! I love the colours very much. The applique of the corners is a great idea and points out the middle in a great way.

Fiona said...

Sensational - so detailed, it the pieced part reminds me of the mosaic floors you see in cathedrals.

Carol said...

Libby it's getting better and better. I love the Feather Princess in the corners. Spectacular!

Cynthia said...

i knew your quilt would look fantastic!! Well done Libby. I love applique you have added

Screen Door said...

It's the tail-wag... The sign that you know, without a doubt, they're happy..... Awesome quilt. Love those crows.

Sweet P said...

Bob is a very lovely quilt. The Road to California show is on my list of shows to attend one of these years. What a cool idea to collect books about state quilt projects. How many do you have?

joyce said...

Your quilt is looking fabulous. Love the corner designs. I think the name is pretty funny too.

Linda_J said...

The colonized movie titles just sound so pretentious--like why didn't they name it whatever it was that followed the colon?? So here's to giving that a big giant wink. I normally refer to the movies as "women in jeopardy" when I see DJ watching one, LOL.

I knew those plumes were sometimes called "princess feathers" because a friend of mine had made one. You have a princess so that fits. Indian Plume is another name, I think? Good choice for those appliqued areas so it looks like a Libby quilt. I love the block on point at center too!

Angie said...

Yes!!!! Gorgeous, Libby!! What a clever name and it's perfect!! ;P The applique just 'makes it' IMHO!

Nancy said...

Very prim Libby, love the applique and the name, Nancy in MT

Susie said...

From your non quilting blogging friend here: This looks wonderful! I love the homey look of the plaid!
hugs!

anne bebbington said...

That looks just as good as anticipated now it's on point - lovely!

The Calico Cat said...

LOVE IT! Especially the trapezoids that you added around the feathered star!

Marcie said...

Bob. Right. I get that. Personally I love all your feathers coming together into one quilt. Pure genius!

Chris said...

You've been tagged. Check my blog for the rules!

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Libby I think I am going to get to make a post!

Your quilt is just turning out so nice! Great colors and fabrics...

Sounds like you had a great time at the quilt show and store...and I agree nothing like your furry kid being so happy to see you to make your day!!!!

May Britt said...

This is good!!!! I love it, and Bob is a great name on the quilt. I have to find and buy some plaids again, because I love it. But it has been difficult to get in norwegian shops lately. Did you take photos at the quilt show?? I always do that because I look at the quilts at the show and when I come home I always thinks: what did I see???

KCQuilter said...

I am STILL laughing over the phone conversation with your hubby!!! What a stitch! "Bob"??? Love that man's sense of humor. Love the quilt too--absolutely gorgeous. Can't wait to see it all done. Will it then be known as Robert?

Hootin'Anni said...

pretty!!!!

I love crafting, but have never done a quilt. My work is crochet...all the way since I've retired.

Of course you didn't ask that...hehehehehe

Happy Sunday.

Shelina said...

A big quilty day for you Libby. I've never seen a quilt named Bob, but nice to meet one now. Bob: Princess Featuers It looks beautiful. I too find quilt shows inspiring in that they make me want to make something, but I don't always remember them either - sometimes I look at my pictures, and not recognize the quilt as having seen before.

Cheryl said...

I just love Bob's look! He keeps getting better. What's next for Bob?

Tracey said...

I absolutely love it! And the name (WITH the colon!)? LOL! Too cute!
Glad that you have a great day at the quilt show. I always leave so inspired.

Eclecticmk - Margie said...

I love how you finished Bob off!

Belém said...

A country cosy plaid. Very nice and warm.