Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Today I made a Red Velvet Cake. This cake just fascinates me for some reason. I didn't grow up with this cake. I think I first heard of it on television -- Food Network, most likely. Sometime later I purchased a cookbook called Buttermilk Cookbook: The Rest Of The Carton. All of the recipes call for buttermilk. Looking through the book, I stumbled upon a recipe for the Red Velvet Cake. I had to try it and have been making one every-once-in-a-while since then. Every time I do, I am a little alarmed by how much red food coloring it takes.
But look how vibrant the cake turns out.
There is a little bit of cocoa powder in the batter which give just a hint of chocolate-y goodness. I split each layer before I frosted. Usually you can just split the layers with a nice piece of dental floss. All of the floss in this house is minty flavored. What could I use without making my cake taste like mouthwash? YLI quilting thread, of course. It is good and sturdy and did a dandy job.

I put just a few drops of color in the frosting to tint it pink. A little contrast against that white plate. I'm taking the cake to a little get together tonight -- I can't wait for the surprise when the first cut is made.

Now I'm off to have a nice glass of buttermilk. I like mine with salt and pepper stirred right in the glass. That's the way my dad taught me when I was very young. Give it a try -- it's really good.

14 comments:

Chris said...

This brings back so many memories! My Aunt Irene used to make this all the time when I was a little girl-when dinosaurs roamed the earth as my kids would say! Enjoy!

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Looks really YUMMY, Libby! Save a piece for me! Have fun tonight!

Angie said...

What a brilliant idea, Libby, to use YLI quilt thread!!! ;P It looks delicious! If there's any left, just yell and Darlene and I will come and help you finish it off. LOL Have a great time!

Carol said...

Oh YUM Libby...I am on my way. Have a wonderful time this evening.

paula, the quilter said...

I'll have to remember this tip on using dental floss or thread. Thx!

Susie said...

That is a vivid shade of red. I think I saw Paula Deen make this one time. I always have lots of red dye for making hummingbird food!
:)

Forgetmenot said...

I love buttermilk too, though I haven't tried it seasoned. At home in Ireland they sell it by the pint and we use it to make an oaty bread - just delicious and one of the tastes of home. Here it comes in tiny pots like yoghurt - if you can find a shop that stocks it, that is! Your red cake looks a stunner, hope it went down well. ELizabeth

Tracey said...

The cake looks yummy! We aren't big on cake in our home...but, by all means, bring on the pie and ice cream! ;o) You did a wonderful job. Juila would have been proud.

You have been busy! I haven't been able to comment on Blogger for a bit, but I so have enjoyed watching those finished projects! Great job,Libby!!

Dawn said...

I grew up with this cake! And this is my cake of choice always for my bday! BUT - ours gets a special cooked frosting on it that is to die for, not just regular frosting! I wish I was there eating a piece right now!

Judy said...

BOY howdy that is a red cake!! I've seen one but never eaten one. Does your tongue get red? It's very pretty with that pink tinged icing and the icing is so shiny too. Very pretty indeed.

PS love the jars on the counter top full of goodies. I have 2 of those with my perle cotton in them.

Lois R. said...

Ewww! Buttermilk! My Dad tried to get me to taste it one time, but it was in the dead heat of summer and I was so thirsty. Not the best time to try buttermilk for the first time! Yuck!

That is one luscious-looking, beautiful cake!

KCQuilter said...

Mmmm...now you got me craving red velvet cake!!! Looks fantastic.

Shelina said...

The first time I had red velvet cake was at a gathering at work. Mmmm. It was really good.

I don't like drinking buttermilk, but I do use it in recipes from time to time.

Owens Family Adventures said...

I love red velvet cake!! I'll put the coffee on you bring a slice on over!! heehee
dawn