Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Yes, that's me giving a big sigh. I finished a new row this afternoon. I promise that I won't show it row by row, but I did want to show my progress. I'm still in the uphill battle phase. The next two rows will be longer, then I can roll back downhill with shorter and shorter rows.We had our first rain of the new year yesterday. I noticed the 'wet moon' last week and new it was coming. Rain was in the forecast and our local whacky weather guy said the morning commute on Tuesday would not go well. I woke up to sunny skies and felt a little cheated. Around 8:30, the clouds rolled in, the sky was dark and we got a nice gentle rain most of the day. Usually January is our wettest month of the year. I hope we can get a little catch up in February or we are in for a brutal summer - fire danger will be so high.
The real fun is watching the weather reports. "Storm Watch 2007" complete with a logo and theme music. Even though I am a native and a good rain storm is the most severe weather I have experienced, the absurdity of the entire news team going on location and filing special reports concerning rain falling from the sky is just comical.
For sure rainy weather makes for good quilting days. Nothing like a warm fire, a hot beverage, a good movie and a quilt project to while away the rainy afternoon.

17 comments:

Carol said...

I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT! You can post it as often as you want...it is just spectacular.

Screen Door said...

Great job--I'm so interested, show us tons of pictures...By the way-- those shiny floors rock!!!!

May Britt said...

Gosh....have you though of counting all the pieces you will have in this quilt when you are done???? I am also in the uphill with my cubes. But when we turns downhill, I think it goes much faster making less and less pieces each row.

kjquilts said...

Libby, I just love this quilt! Whatever inspired you to do this?

I know about drought living in TX. We never get caught up. However this year may be different. We've had quite a few rainy days this month.

Tracey said...

ahh...a gal that can appreciate what i'm going thru with my loggies! it just seems like it will never end, doesn't it? we must keep on trudging on! :o)

Judy said...

Are you kidding...you don't like them breaking inot tv every hour to report on Winter Blast 2007? We had salivating weathermen all night last night because we are supposed to get 3 inches of snow today. Last night they showed "nothing" every commercial break!!

The postage stamp is wonderful! I still think you are insane, but you are moving along with it and winning the battle. This is a wonderful, fabulous project!

Heart's Journey said...

What a beautiful project. Loved the photos, I don't mind you posting lots more! I also had to laugh when I finally figured out that this photo was a neck bender...I have done that so many times, myself in the past! As quilters, we are so used to looking at fabric from so many angles that sometimes we don't even notice when other things should rotate instead of our heads!

Lois R. said...

Wow! it looks fantastic! More, more, more!

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Oh, it's beautiful. You keep sharing pictures - love it!

Storm Watch 2007 - we get such a kick out of that (yep theme music and special Logo - too funny)

The Calico Cat said...

Keep sharing! I love that it is near a chair so we can see the scale. At first I thought it was on a wood panel wall - that would have created a completely different scale.

Your weather guys must be jealous of their counterparts in areas with "real" weather. I know our are! You can see a glimmer in their eyes with even a slight chance of snow is out in Denver! (by the time it gets here, it is rain!)

Laura said...

Libby this is fantastic, it looks like a really old quilt in the picture. I love it! Please keep posting as you go along. I love rainy days! It gives me a good reason to stay in and quilt.

Judy said...

love THE NEW COLOR!

Dawn said...

Libby - this is AMAZING. You really are going to tempt me to buy this pattern aren't you! Oh my gosh I just love it! Yes keep posting the progress - it is so great to see it grow!

Susie said...

Your quilt is beautiful!
I laughed and laughed about the storm watch. That's just so California isn't it??
Up here the big news is what the bad boy mayor of SF has been doing. Front page headlines, and breaking into the regular programs!
hugs!

Shelina said...

Your quilt is looking really nice, and I have no problems with seeing each row as it is completed. Then we can make a slideshow like they have of flowers blooming.
Our weathermen have winter weather advisories. When I first heard about that, as a new driver, it scared me that a big storm was coming, but then I figured out it just meant that some snowflakes would fall. Whatever they can do to make the news more interesting.

Jean said...

This is awesome, I can't believe all the little squares. You have a lot of patience.

Tazzie said...

Just beautiful, you've done a wonderful job! This is my first visit to your blog, and I promise I'll be back again.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)