Sunday, February 04, 2007

The Guacamole Bowl - in our house it's all about the snacks.

I know there are many die-hard football fans out there. But you must remember that we live in the land of The Chargers: The Team That Never Fails To Disappoint. In a pure step of self-preservation, years ago our family became dedicated to watching all the festivities no matter who was playing so we could be part of the Monday morning conversation. We soon realized the talk quickly moved from the game to favorite commercials and we can be right in the thick of it all.
This morning I made the guacamole - a food as important to this day as turkey and cranberry sauce is to Thanksgiving. I also made shrimp dip - a recipe passed to me from my mom and a true family favorite. We have fresh ranch dressing on hand, too. More dip than you can shake a chip at . . . and there was the problem.
We thought we might have to forgo dips this year. Just two short weeks ago, Hubby got braces. Now we have a list of can't eat foods - ironically all foods on a traditional Thanksgiving menu are just what he should have. I thought long and hard. We are 'Dip' people. If you can scoop a chip through it, we are there. It just wouldn't be right not to serve dips and it sure wouldn't be fair to Hubby to watch others enjoy.
First it came to me that we could have hot wings. A perfect way to use ranch dressing. Okay, maybe would just have to satisfy ourselves with that and limp through the day. But I already had my avocados. (When the cold weather came a couple of weeks ago and all the talk of rising prices, I jumped to action and purchased them before the rush was on.) Quesadillas - the thought came to me as I was driving to the grocery store. The perfect guacamole solution.
I'm testing out a modification to the shrimp dip - adding shredded Parmesan cheese and extra garlic then baking it until it's bubbly and hot all the way through. We can use Ritz crackers as the dipping vehicle. Of course, I did buy one bag of chips. I will try to crunch on them quietly in the corner.
I hope everyone enjoys the game and that your favorite team wins!

11 comments:

Susie said...

Libby,
These are sound yummy! I haven't noticed avocadoes going up in price yet, but orange juice?? OH my Goodness! I'm sure the avocadoes will be right up there too!
:)
Are you sharing recipes for your treats???

Sweet P said...

Enjoy your treats and the game. We are having chicken tenders and ranch dressing, then steak later.

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Yummy, yummy, yummy!

Screen Door said...

Have fun---we're snuggled up. It's 5 below zero. But the Superbowl countd on is on....

Dawn said...

MMMMM I wish I were watching the game at your house!!!!

Although DH is making my favorite shrimp pasta for dinner and I just made choc chip cookies with ghiradelli chocolate!

jpquilter said...

How funny - I am not at all interested in the super bowl but we did get avacados - they were on sale after all - and we did have guacamole - hope your afternoon - evening was fun
Juliann

The Calico Cat said...

Is that feta on your guac.?

Judy said...

I'm sure it tastes fantastic...if you made it. I am not a fan tho, never have liked that green stuff. Eww. *G* You know I'm teasing right? Not about hating guacamole tho, yuck!

I never thought about chips and braces before, hubby would be heart broken.

Shelina said...

Libby, you've done a great job adapting your recipes. It sounds wonderful.

Nancy in MT said...

You are too funny!

Finn said...

It all sounds very yummy Libby! Would love to be sampling your creations..*VBS* Sorry to hear that the new braces put a cramp in the snack tradition, but the new approach sounds wonderful too!!

Hope it was a good day. Hugs, Finn