Monday, February 12, 2007

It's nice to get away from the everyday things but it's even nicer to come home again. I have my things all unpacked and the suitcase put away, a couple of loads of laundry and a trip to the store to refill the cupboards.
I got the chance to visit 3 of the quilt shops in Las Vegas. It's so fun to see what is being done in other places. No purchases, but some fresh ideas for things I'd like to do. It seems like my mind is always swirling with what projects I can start, fabrics to use, techniques to try . . .
I have been to Las Vegas twice before. It was very different to not be in one of the hotels on 'The Strip.' They have all the same stores and eating establishments that we have locally. Like a real town. It was an interesting revelation to me as I always think of the spot where the action is and not about how locals must live.
Tomorrow I will get back to the business at hand - the postage stamp quilt. I just know it's going to start going faster soon. Over the weekend I worked on piecing the back of the snail's trail - a cutting debacle when preparing for the front left me with many unused triangles. I stitched them into squares and will piece them together to make the back. I'm glad it was an easy fix. The top still needs borders. Those must wait until I can spread out on the floor to measure. (The floor that I use is currently occupied by all of the pieces of the postage stamp.)
I was pretty overwhelmed by all of the comments and posts from the days that I was gone. I may not leave a comment everywhere I visit, but I promise to read everything. I'll be back on track before you know it.

13 comments:

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

I'm glad you had a good time but I'm glad that you're home safely, too.

Carol said...

Glad you had a great time...I'm with you, it's wonderful to get away but it's always really wonderful to get back home. Can't wait to see the postage stamp grow.

The Calico Cat said...

They have all the same stores and eating establishments that we have locally.

Ahhh the homogenization of America... Nothing is local, regional, or special anymore...

Screen Door said...

Glad you're back... I know Harper missed you as well. Nobody does like "Mom" does it....

Angie said...

Hey Libby, glad you had a good time! And I'm glad you're home too! :P

McIrish Annie said...

I have an aunt and uncle that live in Vegas and it is really strange that once you get beyond the strip,it's just like any other city. But they do put slot machines in some pretty strange places!!

Judy said...

Glad to have you back! Yea...it will get faster..just keep telling yourself that! I don't think "Postage Stamps" are ever fast!! Certainly not at the size your strips are...whew! YOU will deserve a metal by the end!

Wendy said...

Welcome home! Wow 3 quilt shops and no purchases...I could never do that, there is always something I "Have" to have before going home. I'm looking forward to seeing your postage stamp quilt.

paula, the quilter said...

l be visiting Vegas at the end of the month and plan on doing a mini shop hop. I don't gamble so this is a way to get out and about.

Linda_J said...

Good to get away but good to get back? I'm still trying to catch up from being gone the better part of three days this week--you know how that goes.

I can totally identify with what you said about quilt patterns, techniques or "how about if I try this with that combination?" dancing in the head.

Susie said...

Glad you had a good getaway! I haven't been to LV in about ten years! I know there's lots of changes. Maybe later this year we'll be able to get away.
Happy Valentine's Day! What are you making for dessert??
hugs!!

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Libby!

Cynthia said...

nice to hear you had a good time even if you didn't make any quilty purchases.