Thursday, February 08, 2007

Weekend Update . . .

I didn't work on the postage stamp quilt as much as I had hoped in the last week or so. I really thought I would be much further along than I am. It got pushed aside in favor of a couple of other projects, but I have managed to get one more row complete. Making the strip sets required to construct the blocks takes far longer than I would possibly imagine and this last row required 3 new strip sets. The next row will only need 1 new set - the rest of the rows will just be assembling blocks. I feel like I might be able to see the barn door from here. I decided that I needed to work on Bob. The applique is all stitched down now. I have plans for 3 borders - a skinny border to frame what you see now, a pieced border and finally a larger plain border with pieced corners. I feel good having it settled in my mind and now Bob can rest until the postage stamp is done.
Also in the works is this quilt - a snail's trail. I'm planning on donating this quilt here
It needs to get up to double-bed size, so a couple of borders will be in order for this quilt as well. I have always wanted to do a 2 color quilt using blue, but blue is not among my favorite colors. I'm so glad to have found a way to satisfy my 'hankerin'

This gorgeous sunrise is what I saw a couple of mornings ago from my backyard. I think it must have been the most spectacular I have ever seen. As I was stumbling toward the kitchen to refill my coffee, I noticed the kitchen just seemed to have a pink glow. I dashed for the camera and was able to capture just a little bit of the show. I'm sharing this with you now as I am hoping for a similar display tomorrow. I am plan to be on the road as the sun rises, traveling to visit a friend for a long weekend. She used to live in California but now lives in Las Vegas. We are going to quilt shop hop, sew, and who knows what.
You know the saying, "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas"? Well, for me I wish it would apply to the overeating I am sure to do -- that will be my only sin. Have a great weekend. See you all next week.

25 comments:

Wendy said...

The sunrise is the absolutely spectacular, the best I've seen.
The quilts are beautiful, the blue and cream quilt is still on my "to do" list.
Have a wonderful time in Vegas.

Diana said...

Your postage stamp is really coming along, I can't believe how many seams you must have to match up for each row! Bob is looking good too! Have a great time in Vegas this weekend.

Diana said...

Your postage stamp is really coming along. I can't believe how many seam lines you must have to match up for each row. Bob's looking good too.
Have a great weekend in Vegas!

Angie said...

Wow, girlfriend, you have really been busy! They are all gorgeous! And that sunrise photo is breathtaking! Have a wonderful weekend with your friend in Vegas!

Judy said...

You must have been running to get all that done today! Everything looks fabulous and I an getting really envious of Bob...think he might need a sister named Shirley!...who lives with me.*G*

Have a great trip!

Dawn said...

I"m sitting in a pool of drool! OK, this latest picture convinced me I have to find/buy that postage stamp pattern. I HAVE to do it! And Bob is so wonderful. I haven't pulled out the book - I may just take some tomorrow to do that!

Susie said...

Love the sunrise pic and I enjoyed reading the link..
Have fun in Vegas! At least you won't go hungry there!
hugs!

Patti said...

What an incredible sunrise! Have a wonderful trip and a great weekend with your friend. Your projects are coming along very nicely.

Fiona said...

Might be slower than you thought, but that postage stamp sure is worth it.

meggie said...

Wow Libby, I love your work, & Thanks for posting that spectacular sunrise!
I dont know if you have visited my blog, but I am a bit of a sunrise/sunset pic person, & am always posting the changing weather I see from my balcony.
Hope you have a wonderful weekend in Vegas!

Carol said...

Libby what a beautiful sunrise...and that would be why we get up early. Your Postage Due is looking great and Bob couldn't be better. Have a great weekend in Las Vegas.

Screen Door said...

Have a safe trip!!!!I love the snail's trail.

The Calico Cat said...

Oh my gosh, either your dog is part Clydesdale or those squares are teeny tiny. AMAZING!

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Love "Bob", the postage stamp quilt, and the spectacular sunrise.

Enjoy your friend and Vegas. Will be waiting to hear all about it!

paula, the quilter said...

All the quilts are spectacular! I'm going to be in Vegas at the end of the month. I'm thinking of signing up for this quilt shop tour of Vegas because I'm not a gambler.

McIrish Annie said...

Libby,I think this postage stamp quilt will satisfy your love of "little bits" for a while!! LOL.
It does look fabulous. Have a great trip to Vegas!

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Your progress on your postage stamp quilt is really good, its just wonderful! Bob is coming a long nicely, just a dandy! :O) ...

You have been very busy! I have too and this explains me missing in action for quite a few days, tonight is the first chance I have had to read blogs in several days!

My brother just got braces too for the first time ever... he is 35...he is adjusting well :O)...

Sweet P said...

Spectacular photo! Have a great time in Vegas and you can leave it all in Vegas. I promise not to ask questions.

Cynthia said...

lovely photo of the sunrise as well as your quilts you are working on.

Have a fantastic time. See you when you get back.

Finn said...

Hi Libby,your postage stanp is really becoming a stunning quilt top. I'm sure it is going to weigh a ton, with all those seams. I did TRTW as a table topper for DD#1 and
that was enoght for me. It does seem to take forever to get those strips made.
Bob is just spectacular...love what you've done so far. Hope the long weekend is lots of fun!!! Hugs, Finn

Shelina said...

Libby, you had all sorts of beautiful things to look at in your post. A beautiful sunset, your postage stamp quilt which is coming along very nicely, a nice snail trails. I want to make a snails trail someday and I want to make a blue and cream quilt some day. Bob is coming along nicely too. Hope you are having fun in Vegas.

Katie said...

Sunrise pic soooo beautiful. I never thought of Vegas as place to quilt hop. Glad to learn this so if I ever go there, I'll have something to do. Have fun.

Lois R. said...

Sorry to hear that the postage stamps are not going as fast as you had hoped. They look great though.

I love the snails trail. Just beautiful!

Have fun in Las Vegas

Conni Lu said...

I'm enjoying reading about your quilts. They are so pretty. Happy Stitching.

Lucy said...

Ooooohhhh Libby I am in love with your poststampquilt !!! I am drooling over it. and I am alsoo in love with your sunset! absolutly beautiful !!!