Monday, February 26, 2007

Wow - thanks to everyone for the overwhelming response to the Postage Due quilt. There were times when it surely was a trial . Even a several hour period where I considered making it into a dog bed. The lesson: Be patient, wait until it's completely finished before deciding if it was worth the effort. The joy of Hubby pulling it over his legs in the evening instead of kicking up the thermostat is worth every little 1/2" square.
Next up is the whole cloth quilt I received for Christmas. I started out with 14" to 18" squares that I picked up at the local quilt show over the years. There are now 4 or 5 being used as dresser scarves, etc. around the house. Last winter I moved up to a 40" piece that I wanted for my dining room table. Now I feel like I'm ready for the big time and asked The Princess for a queen sized piece. I directed her to this website and she made a lovely selection. I have been anxious to begin ever since the package was opened.
But like all quilters, I felt like I owed it to myself to complete some projects that have languished for far too long. I've met the goal and I ready to begin. But first . . .
It's been a long while since I've hand quilted. I want my piece to reflect my best work and decided maybe some practice would be in order. Recently Finn has been sharing her dolly quilts. They reminded me of a pattern I purchased by Lori Smith. These would be something I could piece quickly and get some hand quilting practice. They finish at about 16" x 20". This first one took only a couple of hours to piece. I think it took longer to pick just the fabrics I wanted than to put the top together. I nearly completed the quilting in one evening.

Saturday morning I decided that was such fun I should do another only this time not struggling with fabrics. I got out a huge pile of scraps and using the pattern photo for color inspiration just had at it. They are mostly reproduction type fabrics. There are a lot of colors going on in this little gem. I'm showing it in sepia because I intend to use a walnut crystal dye over the surface once the quilting is complete. I learned of this technique several months back on Nancy's blog. Her work has a wonderful primitive warmth that I am just in love with. I'll share color photo when it's done.

18 comments:

Shelina said...

Libby, you certainly are on a roll. These are great little quilts - with little squares, it looks like. That is a good idea to practice on smaller projects before diving into a queen sized whole cloth.

Angie said...

These little quilts are lovely, Libby! I can't wait to see the sepia one in color! :D

Judy said...

Both of them are so beautiful! I saw the most fabulous whole cloth machine quilted queen at the show and loved it. I can imagine yours will be fabulous too!

I got a lot of inspration at some of the booths for small hand quilted pieces and they are so fun to make up quickly and get that sense of accomplisnment in a great job done well!

By the way. Do you remember where you picked up that square-ish hoop you are using from? I have a 14" and it's just a bit too small and I love the square-ish design of yours!!

Carol said...

Both those Lori Smith's are wonderful...I love her designs...you are getting so much done. What an inspiration you are!

Patti said...

Wonderful little quilts Libby. You are in the production mode now - that's for sure. How brave you are starting a hand quilted whole cloth quilt!

Wendy said...

The little red 9 patch is so sweet. Good for you to take on such a huge hand quilting project, it will be fabulous when done.

Dawn said...

Oh baby! How cute is that doll quilt! And I can't wait to see your whole cloth! I"m still quilting my strippy coins. I go in spurts with my hand quilting.

Judy said...

What a great idea to do handquilting on smaller quilts for practice. They go so quickly - I'm shy about handquilting and that could be a problem solving solution. Good luck with your whole cloth quilt!

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Practicing your handquilting on the small quilts is a great idea. I want to learn how but don't want to just do anything. Might have to consider a small quilt.

I can't wait to see the larger whole cloth quilt. I'll bet it'll be stunning!

KCQuilter said...

Love, love, love both this adorable quilt and the stamp quilt. You are so talented and creative--a real inspiration!!!

Lois R. said...

Your quilts are beautiful. I love the colors in the first one and I can't wait to see how the second one turns out.

Laura said...

I love Lori's quilts, I have made the red one also. They are so much fun to work on. And you postage stamp quilt is stunning. I can't even imagine tackling a project like that.

Ms. Jan said...

I love your sepia tone pictures! Lovely quilts!

Nadine said...

Oh, I can't wait seeing it in colors, it looks sooo beautiful ! I like when you call it "this little gem", it is really !

Hugs & smiles !

NADINE

Sweet P said...

Finn has been inspiring many of us with her doll quilts. Your little quilts are adorable.

Diana said...

The two little quilts are lovely. I am really interested to see what happens with the walnut crystal dye. Please let us know how that works out.

Lucy said...

What a lovely little quilts and what a beautiful pictures special the sepia color. I am impressed

Faith said...

Both these quilts are spellbinding I see what you mean about practising hand quilting before venturing on one huge big quilt. I have the same with my moons and suns quilt which is a huge kingsize. Im practising on an already made quilt top before the big venture into the wild west of hand quilting as I call it.
I loved the idea of looking at quilt in sepia tones, this is great idea as it gives you the feel of the tones of darks and lights.
Nutbudquilterx