Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The first block is all done. I think I really can get this one done by Christmas - heck maybe even by Christmas in July.The pattern for this quilt is in the book Small Favorites. This block is a 16" block and there are 9 of them in the quilt. I guess 'small' is a relative term. I must say that I enjoyed the applique - nice, big, chunky pieces. Just what I was in the mood for.

I had a lot of comments on my collection of black fabrics. I try to pick them up whenever I see any that catch my eye. Until I started thinking about it last evening, I never realized how often I use black . . . a lot. It's not always easy to find a wide variety and I am picky - I don't care for black/white combo's. Also a lot of blacks have an Asian theme that doesn't really work in my mainly primitive realm.

It's kind of funny how I will come across the same fabric a few times in my stash. I'll find a fat quarter, a half yard cut and even a larger piece of yardage all of the same fabric. I guess my eye knows what I like. The amount I buy often depends on the store's supply or the contents of my wallet, but I do always check for blacks whenever I'm in a shop. My best tip is to always check the sale area - particularly in a shop that doesn't really carry the things you like. All shops make mistakes in buying - and I have found some of the best bargains in shops that are my 'least' favorite, making them my new favorite place to shop.

17 comments:

Judy said...

Well I am converted! I'll make it a point to pick up blacks from now on. I have some from the bunbles that I buy, but I've only used black once in a quilt...which is odd really because I love dark colors.

Love love this applique. Great job!I might have to make something similar myself some time for Christmas. The design is also great for other types of leaves too. Oh, I just got a great idea!! I have to go play now on EQ!

Patti said...

The block looks great! I have a stack of blacks that I've collected over the years but they don't appeal to me like yours do. I think most of them were from
"before" - when I'd not yet discovered primitives and folk art. I will definitely keep an eye out for blacks from now on.

I was so excited about your new project yesterday that I just skimmed right over the project you just finished. What a neat quilt! I love what you did with the border.

Dawn said...

Man you applique fast! It is gorgeous! Want to make me just a 4 block one like that!! :) I LOVE those fabrics! Really - it is wonderful! Now I may have to go home and haul out more - you really are a bad influence on me!

kjquilts said...

Libby your block looks terrific! I have always loved that quilt. I can't wait till Christmas now!

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Oh Libby it's wonderful. I love it! I have that book and now I'm going to have to search for it and get reacquainted with all it's projects. I remember loving several when I bought the book.

The Calico Cat said...

I so like that block - it is a pleasing arrangement of colors.

I understand your "black" comment, but I do like the black on whites and white on blacks.

I am even o.k. with the Asian ones... (I was big into Asians for a while...) My taupes are technically Asian, but you know what I mean....

McIrish Annie said...

How can a person pick a project one day and actually cut and start sewing it the next?? LOL! I definitely have "project envy"! It looks great and will be good for the entire winter not just christmas!

Nadine said...

Oh, Libby, this block is sooo nice ! And they will definitely be a must for next Christmas ! You're a champ !

Hugs & smiles,
Nadine

Knot Garden said...

Wow, you work fast. Wish I could make such quick progress.
The quilt you just finished looks lovely. I like the touches of pale blue in it.

meggie said...

Wow! Are you sure you hadnt secretly started on those blocks?? You sure work fast! Lovely work.

Carol said...

WOW...you are really fast...you will be done for Christmas in July at this pace...it is just a wonderful block...Love it!

Linda_J said...

This looks quite "Libby-like" in the primitive form. I think even I could applique those shapes, by hand because there are no sharp holly points.

Good for you setting the Easter project aside. Do it this summer and you will be ready for next year, way early!

Norma said...

I love your block. You will certainly be ready for Christmas with this quilt--even if it comes early in July! *LOL* Thanks for the tips on buying fabric. I never thought of looking at the stores I don't particularly like for their sale fabrics. I will remember that!

Lucy said...

This is a perfect christmas quilt and you ar eso brave to start right now. I can see it finished with christmas :-)

KCQuilter said...

Love your block!! Great tip on checking the sales rooms at the quilt shops. And I will definitely be on the lookout for more blacks. I have some in my stash, but maybe not enough LOL!

Cynthia said...

your block looks lovely. It was interesting to read that you have a number of black prints. I don't own any black fabric. It's not a color i think to use in my quilts.

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Really liking this one Libby! Look forward to seeing more of it!