Wednesday, March 07, 2007

I'm going to have to mark this day - it is the day I knew that I would have a fruit crop this year! Silly sounding, I know, but my excitement knows no bounds. We had a fruit tree orchard when I was a girl. My most favorite tree was an apricot that was perfect for climbing. The limbs were strong and formed a nice place to sit and read. But the best part was to climb up, get settled and have a delicious snack of apricots - fresh and still warm from the sun. Yummy!
It took many, many years of disappointments to finally learn that the apricots sold in the supermarket were never going to measure up to those of my childhood. Still each year, I get a little start when I see them for sale, then remind myself, 'it won't be worth it.'
I realized the only way to cure the problem was to plant a tree of my very own. We planted this little fella at the very end of bare root season two years ago. At the nursery, it was the most 'Charlie Brown' apricot tree there. It needed a home and a lot of hope. Once carefully planted, it's top didn't even reach the height of our 3' fence. That fall, the leaves turned golden and dropped to the ground - I feared that would be the end of my little tree. But by the next spring it was almost taller than the fence and new leaves formed - but not a single blossom to be seen. All the rest of the year, it worked on growing a little taller, dropped it's leaves and napped through the winter.
Then this morning, while making the coffee I thought I spotted some color. Could it be? One tiny little flower. I grabbed Hubby by the arm and dragged him out to have a look at the triumph. But wait - there must be half dozen blossoms and many more just waiting to burst forth. We are going to have a apricots!
Today is also Harper's birthday - 10 years old. We are celebrating by going out to lunch. One plain burger from the nearest drive-thru. It is the closest thing to puppy nirvana you will ever see. Happy Birthday Big Girl. You are the best puppy pal I could ever have.

19 comments:

Carol said...

Happy Birthday Harper from Howie and Zack!
Yummy...fresh apricots from your very own tree...I'd be dancing too :)

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday Dear Harper, Happy Birthday to you!

Fresh apricots - yummy!

Angie said...

Oh Libby, I am soooo excited for you!!! Yea!!!! And big happy birthday hugs to Harper!! Yum, that burger will be the BEST birthday present...I know my "boys" would LOVE that for their birthday!! LOL My Dewey Darlin' will be 11 the 26th of this month, and my Badger Baby turned 10 in Dec. Alas, they are wienie dogs and I'm afraid their vet said a resounding "NO" to their plain burger birthday 'cake'. :( I've been carrying my 'baby' around for a couple of days...I'm afraid he has another disc going. Every spring he endures this since having 2 discs blow on him in May 2002 and having back surgery. The surgery was (thankfully) a success, but every May he goes a bit lame. Back on steroids and caging for 4-6 weeks, and he manages to pull out of it. It's just hit him early this year. Didn't mean to write you a book, Libby, LOL.

Jeanne said...

Happy Birthday, Harper! Jasper and Annie wish you a great birthday, too.
The blossoms on your tree are so nice to see when I'm surrounded still by snow.

Judy said...

You were writing one and I went back up to the picture thinking there are way more than one!! You've got potential for loads of buds! Glad they finally came in, I don't think I've ever had anything but a few canned apricots in my life. Never fresh ones.

Happy birthday to your sweet girl!

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

How exciting, and it's Harper's birthday. My Simon is also 10. Amazing to see some signs of spring over there. It is still well and truly summer here.

Dawn said...

Oh happy birthday Harper! I wish Emily, Chloe and I could come visit for your bday! Emily would make you some homemade treats!

Susie said...

Happy Birthday Harper! Enjoy your lunch out!!
Yay for blossoms on the apricot tree.
Our squirrels eat the fruit as fast as it ripens. Sad but true...

Forgetmenot said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HARPER! And a big hug. How exciting to have fruit blossom - doesn't it just herald spring.

Nadine said...

I love this post, Libby ! Simple pleasures are the best, and nature is always rewarding, soner or later...
(You should make an apricot quilt, and name it simple pleasures", or "a taste of childhood" - I would if I were you !)

Happy Birthday to Harper (and happy meal !)

NADINE

Diana said...

I hope Harper enjoys his burger!

KCQuilter said...

Ooooh, fresh-off-the-tree apricots sound like a divine treat! Lucky you to live in a climate that can grow fruit trees! Birthday wishes to your special doggy friend!

Margie said...

Molly and Clancy say, Happy Birthday Harper! :-)

Wendy said...

Congrats on the apricot tree, I hope it will be full of fruit for you to enjoy. I know how excited I was when my plum tree produced endless plums for me that I couldn't eat them all.

Laura said...

Happy birthday to Harper, she is a beauty!

Screen Door said...

The spring blossoms are beautiful---enchanted with the picket fence....Hope you all had fun celebrating Harper's birthday. I have great apple trees-- just no apples.... Maybe you can work your magic on them>!?!?!

Judy said...

Thanks for a trip down memory lane! We had an apple tree that was the place for many, many serious conversations and just hanging out! Harper, Happy Birthday!! to you - enjoy your burger! Your eyes remind so much of our dear Jordan, one of life's precious gifts. I hope have you many, many apricots!

Conni Lu said...

Hi, Libby,
Your post about the apricots reminded me of my childhood adventures too. When I was six we lived in a small rental house with an apricot tree of just the right size for my little self to climb. I enjoyed that tree for many a summer day. And you're correct, no apricots taste like a fresh one righf off the tree. :D

meggie said...

AWWW what a cute post! I just love fresh Apricots too. The miracle of spring!
Happy Birthday to your puppy girl!