Friday, March 02, 2007

More dye. The walnut dye that I shared the last couple of days is a new technique to be added to the arsenal. While I have never used a real, honest-to-goodness dye (for some reason they scare me) I am willing to be pretty free and easy with things found around the kitchen. When I saw my first piece of tea-dyed fabric, I knew that was for me. I quickly learned that I could buy fabrics that I didn't much care for, soak it in some tea, set it outside to dry and - voila- something new for me to love and enjoy in my stash.
Next I saw something that had been aged using coffee. Be still my heart. The extra dark spots that come up randomly. I had to give that a try, too. Then I began mixing tea and coffee - brewed tea, brewed coffee, instant tea, instant coffee. I was like a highly caffeinated mad scientist.
I have a friend (and just about anyone at the local guild) who doesn't understand this at all. I am often told I only work with brown fabric. She will see a top in progress, grimace and ask if I'm going to put tea all over it. Of course - I am. My motto has become: My personality is sunshiny - my quilts don't have to be.
This little quilt was inspired from some embroidery patterns in a Brannock/Patek book. The muslin was tea dyed before I pieced it and did the embroidery - brown work(?). After it was done, I applied coffee to make the dark splotches . When The Princess saw it she asked, "Are you going to be able to get those stains out?" It's not a look for everyone, but it sure is for me.

16 comments:

Marcie said...

You either get it or you don't! I love the tea stained stuff and the older looking the better. That puts the sunshine in my life! What a cute comment by your daughter!

Patti said...

Thanks for the chuckle! Most quilters - and non-quilters for that matter - just don't understand those of us who like this. That's OK I guess - as long as they don't try to make us do quilts like they like!

Linda_J said...

Get the stains out? Oh, my---not on your life, right? I wondered if the staining dyed your stitching too when I first looked at it.

Are you doing a wholecloth quilt? I must have missed something.

Sweet P said...

I get it but I'm still trying to appreciate it. Keep showing pictures and perhaps I'll come around.

Angie said...

Your Princess' question is adorable...it really is 'all in the eye of the beholder', isn't it? LOL I love tea-dyed/coffee-dyed pieces! Hadn't thought of mixing the te and coffee, tho, so I'll have to give that a try too! :D Your quilt is wonderful. :)

Carol said...

I love it...I get the same questions all the time..."Are all your quilts brown?" "Do you always have to use brown?" Someday they will understand.

Dawn said...

I LOVE it!

dot said...

Your technique cetainly makes the piece appear very antique. I like the affect with the embroidery and the tea/coffee dying. Very clever.

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

I get it! Years ago, during my x-stitching heydays I had a good friend who would coffee or tea dye everything she made - she even used rusty nails and such to get "the" stain. LOL

May Britt said...

It must be fun experimenting with this. I have tried to dye in tee, but it was not really me.

Jane Weston said...

I've just started playing with tea/coffee dyeing...this morning in fact :) Do you have any secrets to your technique or suggestions to set the coffee/tea?

Judy said...

I like the look, and since it's not normal just about any of the older faithful quilters will hate it. Probably a reason I will never put a quilt in show. Don't need the grief.

Judy said...

You are so free with your work and it is enjoyable to see someone who is that way! I love the tea/coffee dyed things and have never once seen them as "brown quilts"! Enjoy what you have fun doing!

McIrish Annie said...

Libby, I like the aged look it gives to fabric. Sometimes a fabric is just too spanking new looking and needs to be aged a little.

BTW saw a hexagon quilt at the NJ quilt show and took a couple of pics for you!! will send them by email this week. pretty tiny stuff!!

Rosemary said...

haha, a girl after my own heart! Rosemary

Shelina said...

It is a pretty quilt, and I can see how you would want to tea or coffee dye something, but I personally wouldn't want to do it.