Monday, March 05, 2007

Recently Finn asked us to share vintage sewing items we have and she shared a wonderful needle packet from her collection. I can remember so many things that were in my grandma and mom's sewing baskets - old spools of thread, needles, pincushions, a ceramic bowling pin used for darning socks. All long gone now. What I do have is this little collection of thimbles. Mom and Grandma both were obsessive about using a thimble and tried valiantly to get me to do the same. Always stubborn, I refused. They felt 'funny' on my finger and the needle always slipped around. While I can manage a thimble these days, I will still wait until my fingers are so sore that I have not choice but to get one out if I want to continue sewing.The shiniest one belonged to Mom. She used it every time she picked up a needle and thread. whether she was mending, sewing a hem or making garments for everyday, Halloween costumes of all varieties, my wedding dress; they all felt the touch of that thimble.

The others belonged to Grandma. They are all so tiny - they fit on my pinkie. Grandma made her living with needle and thread during the Great Depression and WWII years. She lived in a town near an Army training base and made alterations to the soldiers' uniforms in a space above a little dress shop. She was expert at making the Eisenhower jacket that was very popular at that time. I wonder how many of those alterations she did over the years?

It's starting to feel spring like here at home. It got the better of me yesterday and we went and bought a few new plants and a bunch of seed packets. Probably a little ambitious, but the day was warm and I felt like I could get anything to grow. I put in the plants, but I'll save the seeds for another day. First I have to come up with a way to protect them from the birds my neighbor attracts with her feeders. They cannot satisfy themselves with her generosity - they come over and snack on my plantings as well -- then . . . it's WAR!

8 comments:

Wendy said...

Oh how special to have thimbles from both your Mom and Grandma. I too have trouble using a thimble, it seems to get in the way of the needle. I found a leather thimble easier to handle.

Judy said...

The look so thin and used...which is good!! Means they were loved. I still cannot use a thimble when I hand sew and i've tried everything, even a super thin plasticy one from the quilt show. I use a bandaid..super silly I know but the cloth bandaid is my thimble. I have to be able to feel that needle lay against my finger, so I can push with my thumb into the center.

I have my granny's buttons! I have no clue where her thimble was or if she used one? Funny huh? Oh but I have the crochet hook she gave me!

Susie said...

I could never use a thimble, but like you, my Mom and Grandma always used one. I have many of their sewing things, but don't use much these days..

Shelina said...

I think it is great that you have such beautiful heirlooms - and that you know the memories behind them.

It looks like spring around here too - every other day. The other day it is winter. You could start the seeds inside - don't know timing wise when it is best to do that.

Diana said...

You are lucky to have sewing things from the past that were used by your mom and grandmother. I don't always use a thimble for hand sewing, but that's because I'm usually sewing cotton. Trying to get a needle through other fabrics is a lot harder.

We're not seeing many signs of spring around here--this morning the wind chill was 14 degrees F!

Sweet P said...

What a wonderful collection of thimbles and memories to go with them. I'm not a thimble user. I use the little plastic stick on pads when I'm hand quilting.

I'm glad it's spring somewhere because it sure isn't spring here today. It's way cold.

Dawn said...

Oh what fun your thimbles are! I have nothing since my mom and grandmother didn't really sew. Well I guess they sewed clothes but I don't recall any "things" that remain.

Finn said...

Hi Libby, thanks for bringing out your vintage sewing treasure to show us...*VBS* I love that you have them from both your mom and your grandma. Neither of mine sewed. How strange is that?? Any thing I have is from a friend or a stranger. You have true tresure there! Hugs, Finn