Thursday, March 01, 2007

Today was 'basting day'. A lot - an awful lot of crawling around on the floor to smooth everything just so. After getting the batt stretched out on the floor and an initial spreading of the top , I stepped away to take a look (and a picture) to see if there were any problem areas before I moved on.Here's what Harper thinks of the whole process. She can get a little pouty when her movements are restricted. I strongly frown upon her stomping across my work and she just doesn't understand why. A nice puppy treat fixes all the grumpiness when I'm done.
Here is where you'll find me a good part of the time now. I'm so anxious to take my first stitches. A few chores and errands this morning and I'll be ready to begin. I feel like a kid on Christmas - I can hardly wait.
Several asked for further information on the walnut crystals. My knowledge is limited at best. . . walnut ink crystals can be found at most places where you find scrap booking supplies. It seems that it can be used to achieve the same look as coffee and tea dye while using less liquid - important in scrap booking (no one wants wrinkly, crinkly paper). I found a booth at a quilt show that was selling a spray bottle with a premixed solution to age punch needle pieces. That is what I used on my piece (no mixing mess or staining up my kitchen - at least on the first outing). I don't know if it's permanent or if it causes the fabrics to deteriorate more rapidly. My guess? Probably not permanent - because I would like it to be. Like a coffee stain that will stay forever on my t-shirt, but wash right out of a quilt. Probably somewhat damaging - just like the natural dyes of our foremothers, it's a technique to achieve a particular color now - not to hold up or preserve for 100 or more years.
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

6 comments:

Judy said...

Looks fabulous!! We have a scrapbook store near, so I might just get some of the dye for those rick racks I told you about. I'll have to call them.

Love the pattern on the whole cloth!

Susie said...

I haven't heard of this kind of dye, but I know my daughter has done tea dying to make fabric look aged.
Harper obviously wants to be part of your project. Glad you give her some treats to put a smile on her face..
:)

Dawn said...

Oh princess did do a wonderful job picking one out! And heck, that one doesn't even look too hard to do! Did you baste it? I couldn't see any basting stitches? I can't wait to see it started!!!!

And poor Harper... Send him/her over to play with Chloe and then you and I can play!

Sweet P said...

I like what I can see of the pattern on the quilt. It will be fun to watch your progress on it.

Cynthia said...

beautiful design on the cloth. It will certainly keep you busy for awhile. What stich do you do on a whole cloth?

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Oh, Libby that's going to be beautiful. I'm on my way - I want to sit next to you and watch you apply your needle and thread to this beauty. I'll be happy with a Caffeine Free Diet Coke and I'll stop and buy it so I don't get in your way. ;-)