Thursday, March 15, 2007

Well, that took a long time . . . back at the beginning of the year, I began trying to organize my quilting supplies to have a neater appearance and to find out just exactly what projects were lingering and lurking about. I am pretty good, as quilters go, about finishing what I start. But could I honestly call myself a quilter if I didn't have a UFO or two tucked away somewhere?
This quilt is one of those UFOs . I think that I pieced the top in early 2001. At one time I had plans to applique in the plain squares. It was a nice plan. But look at the size of this quilt. It is hanging over the fence. There are two rows you cannot see in the photo. From post to post the fence is 8 feet per section and the quilt is drifting into a second section. No wonder no applique got done on this quilt.
For a while I thought about turning it into two quilts - they would still be generously sized. If not, I have plenty of the plain fabric . I could add borders. Okay that was the wrong direction. I didn't want to make 2 giant quilts out of it.
So it has been hanging neatly folded on a hanger waiting to become a quilt. I just put the last stitch in the binding a few minutes ago. It will be going to the Wounded Warrior Center. It took a long time to become a quilt, but I think it was worth the wait.

16 comments:

meggie said...

Libby, that quilt is wonderful, & will be enjoyed, I am sure.

Beth said...

That is a very nice quilt. I'm sure someone will get many hours of enjoyment out of it.

Judy said...

I think it turned out fabulous. You did a great job on the quilting! SOme wounded soldier is going to love wrapping up in such a beautiful quilt and not care how long it took to finish!

Carol said...

You will make a wounded soldier feel so much better with that wonderful quilt.

Jeanne said...

Libby, I'm happy you decided to finish that quilt. It will warm the heart and spirit of its deserving recipient.

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Someone will definitely enjoy that beauty, Libby!

Susie said...

What a loving gesture Libby..
I think I've told you that Grandpa is a Pearl Harbor Survivor and Veterans are near and dear to my heart...
:)

Fiona said...

Excellent quilt - love the plaids in the lighter blocks (when do I not like plaids?)

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

I have never seen that exact way to do post and rail but, as usual(!) I love it. So big though, I'll have to look back at the post to see how you quilted it.
Fabulous work and someone very special will love it. Cheers, Tracey

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

It's beautiful. I just heard on the news this morning about the Wounded Warrior Center at Camp LeJeune. What a kind and generous gift!

Screen Door said...

Looks like a guy's quilt. It will keep someone warm.

Dawn said...

It may have taken a long time but it is wonderful!

Lois R. said...

What a beautiful quilt. I admire you for donating to the Wounded Warrior project -- what a worthy cause.

By the way, I share your enthusiasm for your apricots and tomatoes. We're a good 2.5 months behind you, but I'm so excited about getting out there and planting stuff to feed us! Color me green with envy at your extra long growing season!

McIrish Annie said...

I'm sure this quilt will be appreciated. Is that the only UFO you found?? Please tell me you had more than one UFO floating around@!

Cynthia said...

well done on finishing your UFO. It certainly is a big one but i'm sure you are pleased that it's completed.

Lucy said...

What a great quilt !! I love the plaid fabrics!