Friday, May 18, 2007

Thank you all for the wonderful comments on the diamond quilt. And more particularly the guidance in finding a photo transfer product to use on my label. I ordered the Fabric Treasures and it has arrived. I plan on playing around with my photo this weekend and hope to have a label to share next week.
With the diamond quilt complete, I had make a decision on which project to work on next. I have a few things that seem to be always in an 'on-going' state - the hexagons, the whole cloth (which is far to warm to work on these days,) and the quilting of the Holly and Berries. Then there are the UFO's - an old BOM that is dangerously close to being labeled abandoned, Bob - the feathered star. Hmmmm. What's a girl to do?
Start something new, of course. Dawn has been sharing her Serendipity Blocks this week and I have been completely intrigued. They are such beauties and Dawn's excellent fabric choices really make them sing. Just like a spoiled child - I wanna make THAT!
As I was surfing around the internet looking for the book and the special ruler, I came across this free pattern by the same designer. I studied it for a bit and realized that if I became 'one' with the 30 and 60 degree lines on my rulers here, I could probably make these quilts. I could get some instant gratification while waiting for the book with the Serendipity patterns.
I true 'Libby-style,' I just dove right in, selected my fabric and got ready to cut. My sensible side took over at the last moment and I pulled a couple of scraps and did a test strip first. Not to be a waster of good fabric, you'll see the evidence of the test strip in the second photo.
It was like magic - 2, yes TWO quilts at one time. What fun.
Pinwheels and Hexagons.
I have flipped the pieces around a couple of times and I think these are the layouts that I'm going to stick with. Today I'll stitch them together and add some borders. I love quilting

17 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

oooh I like the second one!
I have that book - I really like the author. I have yet to try it though.... I am the spoiled child - I want it done now!

Judy said...

Very cool... thanks for the pattern link. I have a triangle ruler but you are right that with a little thought you can cut these with a reg. ruler too! Good thinking. Can't wait to see them finished!

Dawn said...

Oh they are both awesome! Man now your going to make me want to start new projects again!!!!!

Betty said...

Libby what fun you and Dawn are having!! I have seen that book, it's so intriging. I love your garden photos too, Greer and the flower "bed" love a touch of humor where ever we can find it

Screen Door said...

'Gutsy Girl', I love them both--the first is my favorite...I like hearing you have several things going at one time ... a girl has different moods...

Fiona said...

Two for the price of one - excellent!

Fiona said...

Two for the price of one - excellent!

Lucy said...

Ohh Libby I love these so much:-) And I LOVE your fabric choice !

paula, the quilter said...

I have that book & ruler too. Did you know that Sara Nephew has retired? All her books, patterns and rulers are now sold thru Alicia's Attic? owned by Marcia Baker. Thanks, a lot... now I've got another one to add to my list. *grin*

Susie said...

It's amazing how different they look even using similar colors!
:)

computerpeach said...

very cool pattern!! thanks for sharing - yours looks great... love the colors

Carole said...

Wow, those look sweet! I like your choice of colour! That's as far as I go. I cannot be tempted to start a new project! No way, Jose! No not me! I'm not looking anymore! LOL Back to my paper!...sigh...

Knot Garden said...

I love that second one, gorgeous fabrics! There's nothing like the fun of starting something new.

Kim said...

Those look great! Very tempting!

anne bebbington said...

Two for the price of one - now that can't be bad! Love them both - just wouldn't be able to choose between them - good job I wouldn't have to!

atet said...

What fun! And I'm with you -- start a new project. And two for one? How much better can that be?

Katie said...

Oh, you have so much creativity and energy. I love them! I've been collecting B&W fabrics for a while and wondering what to make with them. Maybe...