Monday, May 07, 2007

This morning I'm feeling relaxed and rejuvenated. Ready to take on daily life - the chores and the fun things,too. Hubby and I returned yesterday afternoon from a little getaway trip designed just for stress-relief and relaxation. Boy did it work.
Thursday morning we dropped Harper at her favorite pet hotel and then hit the freeway. Someone did forget to tell the Los Angeles commuters that we were looking for a stress-less drive. But we managed to arrive in Cambria, California in just about 6 hours . . . not too darned bad.
We had reservations at the Olallieberry Inn . How can you pass up a place with a name that is so fun to say . . . over and over and over? We were quickly checked in and settled in our room. We both grabbed our books and headed to this spot. Santa Rosa Creek flows right along the back of the property. We quickly staked out a couple of aged Adirondack chairs right along the bank for reading and bird watching. A good deal of the time, we could be found right here.

We did venture out for a short drive north on Highway 1. The coastline is so pretty when the fog and clouds are swirling around trying to decide if they want to dissipate or turn into a full-fledged storm.
In the afternoon, we took a 'tour' of NitWit Ridge. A local landmark of sorts. I remember driving by this place with my mom in the late 70's and early 80's. The man who built the place would sometimes be standing out on the 'balcony' chasing gawkers away or according to our guide sometimes inviting people in to have a look at his work. It was very interesting to see what this man had done with only found items. Quite a contrast to
this. Also on Friday, we had booked an evening tour at Hearst Castle.

In spring and fall, they offer evening tours of the castle that include docent volunteers dressed in period clothing giving the illusion that you have stepped back in time and are a guest at 'the ranch' yourself.

We chose our tour time carefully in hopes we would still be outdoors at sunset.These are some of the most incredible, unspoiled views of the rolling hills and California coastline. Can you just imagine sitting out on this deck happily stitching away on your latest project?


We were also treated to a garden that was in full bloom. Citrus trees laden with fruit, rose bushes in full glory and these beautiful things. I have no idea what they are (I know someone will tell me *s*) but I just loved the colorful giant blooms.
On Saturday we spent a great deal of our day at the Inn reading books out by the creek side. We were treated to delicious breakfasts each morning and wine and hors d'oeuvre each evening at 5. I really enjoyed the peace and solitude - no television, no radio, no phones - cell or otherwise, no computer. I hated to leave it all behind.
We made a quick stop to take a few last pictures before getting back on the freeways. This spot is along the coast between Cambria and Cayucos. Can you just imagine living in a little place right in that field of wild mustard? A view of the ocean and rolling hills in one direction.

And more coast and even Morro Rock looking in the other direction.
All in all, it was a glorious getaway. Today it is back to reality - piles of laundry, dusty furniture and an empty refrigerator. But the memory of Hubby sitting here relaxing - not checking emails or phone messages is terrific.
I can't wait until we can do this again.

29 comments:

Finn said...

Hi Libby, what a wonderful get-a-way! Sounds like it was just what was needed to re-group and head into the summer season.
I sure would love to know more about the man who "made" from what he found or was available. Those things always fascinate me endlessly. Even the totally outrageous ones that are over the top...LOL
It's old charmer, whimsey at play. Perfect pictures, great sunsets. Hugs, Finn

Judy said...

So glad you enjoyed it. We have a special B&B that we like alot too about 3 hours from here. Not the views you got but good. The pictures are breathtaking!

Darlene said...

A wonderful getaway, indeed. If you were able to rest and relax then it was exactly what you needed.

And, now back to your regularly scheduled life. :-)

Susie said...

I love that part of the coast. My grandma was born in Templeton and spent lots of time in Morro Bay.
I think the plant blooming at Hearst Castle is a rhododenron.
Beautiful pictures and I'm so glad you had a fun getaway.
:)

Rose Marie said...

Thank you for the tour ... what a perfect place to get away from it all! Hearst Castle and stitching on a quilt with gorgeous sea views ... book me in now!

Wendy said...

What a wonderful get-away. We like to do the same thing to relax and get away from the every day duties which we did this last weekend as well. The plant with the giant blooms is called Rhododendron. We have some inbloom right now and they keep blooming for a few months.

Screen Door said...

What a great post. Loved the photos..How I've missed you!!!! Knock ou the chores, fill the fride, get to quilting!!! Did Harper enjoy her outing??

Fiona said...

Oh Libby, that just looks idyllic. I could feel myself relaxing just reading about it and the pictures are superb.

atet said...

Ohhh -- what a wonderful trip! Hmmnn, no cell phones, computers, or distractions. I may have to try that some day!

Nadine said...

Isn't it just wonderful, to get away "just the two of us", for a few days break ! Thanks for the beautiful photos. Aaah, California Coast ! Now I'm dreaming...
As for the gorgeous bunch of giant flowers, I bet for azaleas (maybe ?)...

Hugs & smiles,
NADINE

Nancy in MT said...

Sounds like a wonderful time, and I like the back shot of your husband, are you sure he's not clinching his fist being without the cell phone.

Dawn said...

OH, that is so beautiful! I would love to have a house that looks out over the ocean - that is my dream! No oceans in IL you know! And what a wonderful time it sounds like you had, that sounds like the perfect get away!

Knot Garden said...

It sounds lovely and looks absolutely idyllic. Glad you had a wonderful time:)

Forgetmenot said...

Sounds like you had such a lovely week end away, full of wonderful things to see, and relaxation.

What a nice thing to do, every now and again.

kjquilts said...

California certainly is beautiful! Glad you are rested and rejuvenated.

Katie said...

What a beautiful place to relax. Water is special. Love listening to the waves. When I was working and managed to get away, I went camping with no phone or TV. I also put my watch away. Got up when I woke up and ate when I got hungry. Even so, it took a bit to get out of the "must do" rhythm. Your pics are so wonderful. I'll bet you can bring back your get-away anytime you look at them.

Sweet P said...

What a beautiful weekend. I don't know that I could give up my computer for an entire weekend.

Min said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Hearst Castle is one of my favourite places, as is California. I've been lucky enough to see the Castle twice and would love to go again.

You lucky duck. hop your relaxed glow remains for many weeks to come.

Connie said...

Libby, GOOD FOR YOU! It's good to take care of oneself occasionally and you sound so refreshed.

Diana said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your weekend getaway. It sounds wonderful and I'm glad you were able to de-stress in such a lovely spot.

Quilt Nut said...

looks like a fabulous getaway. thanx for sharing the pictures

Jeanne said...

Libby, thanks for the virtual tour of your get-a-way. I'm glad you and your husband we able to spend some quality time together relaxing and enjoying the scenery.

anne bebbington said...

Definitely rhododendrons - looks like a lovely place especially with the people in period costume - glad you had such a lovely break

Nicole said...

Lovely sounding get away! My husband and I are heading down to San Simeon this coming weekend. I hope our visit is as relaxing as yours seemed to be.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Just the thing for the soul. Glad you had the opportunity, I love to be with a relaxed and happy husband, too; we also have to get away to achieve that... too many distractions with work (at the office) and chores here at home.

Linda_J said...

What a great time away--busy with the tours and enjoying all the wonderful scenery that your trip encompassed. I bet your husband feels just as relaxed and refreshed.

I see Susie i'd.'d your "mystery" plant. At first glance I might had said azalea but my 2nd impression was rhododenron--I believe they are in same family actually.

Kim said...

Sounds like a great time! I love Cambria, and a friend of mine grew up in the area. One or both of her parents were caretakers at Hearst's Castle and she actually got to swim in the pools when she was a kid. (After tour hours, of course.) Isn't it hard to go back to reality?

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

That looks like a lovely break away from daily life. Is Harper still talking to you?

Pierre said...

Oh wow! That is just beautiful, and very helpful, since my family and I are planning a getaway to California, and we're looking at staying at the Olallieberry Inn Bed & Breakfast ourselves! I've been poking around, and here's a webpage with some cool info: http://www.ca-bnb-review.com/?n=olallieberry+inn+bed+%26+breakfast&id=205457&t=hotelinfo, but I would love to hear your personal opinion too, as this is an important decision.

Best regards,
PierreDowing